• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Asteroid Close approach Tonight (Mag 9)

Started by Whitters, Aug 17, 2002, 18:25:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

Rick

Mike

Well I was out at around 1am looking for it for an hour and couldnt see a darn thing ! Anyone else have any luck ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

I tried earlier in the evening, but the clouds made me decide that I was probably on a hiding for nothing, so I got some beauty sleep instead. Apparently I could do with as much as I can get, although I can't see why myself...

Whitters

As predicted pretty duff weather, Tried until 1:30 but could not get a decent shot.

Rick

Yeah. Thin high cloud (and some patches of thicker stuff too) reduced the visual limiting mag to about 3, and the binocular limiting mag to not much better. Not much chance of seeing a mag 9 object... :sad:

Ian

this was posted on QCUIAG. This is not my work, credit goes to a guy called Gene Chimahusky in Philadelphia, USA.

Rick

That's an impressive animation.Does he have a website? Anything else like that on it?

Ian

Rick

Hmmm... "The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer." so it must have some good stuff on it... :wink:

Whitters

Fantastic images, jammy b****R's with decent skies.

Whitters

Ian, did you see what this chap used for his images, Water cooled Toucam. WOW!

Ian

I know some of the guys are using water cooling. I thought about it for a little while and started coming up with details like pumps, hoses, tap water on the primary, electric shocks and the weight of water hanging off my scope. I think a peltier is more appropriate  :smile:
While we are discussing QCUIAG, there is a French chap called Etienne who has done some amazing photos with a Vesta Pro. Check out his veil nebula. http://www.astrosurf.com/astrobond/ebcipr.htm

Whitters

Anonymous

Hi everyone, Gene Chimahusky here, the water is used to cool the hot side of the pelt, and yes, it is heavy! Using fan saw +20C from ambient hot, -10C cold in the chamber. With water I see -22C in the chamber from water temp, just add ice :smile:

Have a great day everyone!

Gene