• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Scary things with a 450D

Started by mickw, Oct 19, 2009, 15:09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

wow, thats a fantastic mod.

Mac.

Mike

Wow! Indeed it is. Quite impressive. A good way to get a cheap cooled one-shot colour cam too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

If you ask him nicely, I'm sure Mark would like to practice on a D3 before damaging a perfectly good 350D.
And Tony, well Tony would just like to practice on anything breakable ;)

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Quotemight try

There is no try - do or don't do !

You have already mastered the light sabre  ;)

May the farce be with you.............................

MarkS

Mick,

That's a brilliant find - well done!  It gives me lots of ideas for my 350D Peltier mod.

I like the way he disconnects ribbon cables to determine if they are important or not!

However, it seems a bit odd that he appears to have put the heatsink inside the aluminium box where it will warm everything up.  Or have I misunderstood this part (first image in section 4).

His particular Peltier chip consumes 3.7A at 12v - I would need a whole car battery just dedicated to cooling.

Mark

mickw

Quoteheatsink inside  the aluminium box
I hadn't noticed that, there doesn't even appear to be an airflow over the heat sink, just a fan trying to suck air out of a sealed container.
Although he has sealed the "camera" in a poly bag which might help a bit.
He has managed some impressive improvements for what looks like an inefficient design though.

Also regarding your coldfinger clearance issues between the CCD - are you aware that you can get copper shim in various thicknesses down to around .003"

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
are you aware that you can get copper shim in various thicknesses down to around .003"

That sounds interesting.  Where from?

Mark

mickw