• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Gallery update...

Started by Rick, Sep 12, 2014, 18:05:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Unless anyone objects strongly I plan to upgrade the gallery tomorrow (Saturday) morning, fairly early. If you've got things you wantto upload to the gallery then please either get them done before midnight(-ish) or wait 'til the update's over.

Thanks.

mickw

Delete everything - Let's start again  :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

The update is done. It looks a bit different, but I took the easy option on the style, and re-used quite a bit from the forum's new style.

The main difference will be in the file uploader...

Carole

I tried to upload some of my recent images today, but firstly there no longer seems to be a facility to add a URL which would save space for the website.

Secondly it now seems to accept tiffs (a bonus).

Thirdly when I tried to upload an image I ended up with a mountainous scene and not my image at all.  The correct file was displayed in the uploading box.

Is the update complete yet, if not what is going on?

Carole

mickw

Looks like it's something to do with TIFFS, thumbnail is the mountain but the image is there if you click on it.
The TIFF only loaded in Quicktime  :-?
I'd be inclined to stick to Jpegs for the gallery.
Huge files (TIFFS) are normally stored on Flikr or whatever and linked to beneath the gallery image on the forum.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Agreed, stick to Jpegs. TIFFS are huge. If you want to store TIFFs use Flickr as it now has 1Tb for free.

Rick is on holiday at the moment so won't be able to respond.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

There's been a minor gallery software update this morning. Shouldn't be noticable, but as ever, if you spot something amiss, please let me know.

The gallery allows TIFFs primarily so they can go in the Processing Examples (visible to all) and Raw Data (only visible to members) sections. Final images should be in something more web-friendly, like PNG or JPEG (or GIF if absolutely necessary).