• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pink folders!

Started by Sue, Nov 03, 2004, 01:42:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

All the folders beside the topics are pink and they don't go yellow when I have read them now. Doesn't make any difference if I am logged in or out. Can anyone help please?

Rick

Ummm... I have my suspiscions...

What does the Location (URL) field say?

Can you "open frame in new window" or some-such, and see what the Location (URL) field says then?

Does this link work any better?

Is this link worse?

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2004-11-02 17:50 ]

Sue

Thanks Rick. Cannot find 'Location URL' but first link you gave worked fine, second same probs as finding on pages currently.Please advise.

Rick

Ok... Looks like that didn't work... Hmmm...

Sue, just bookmark the link that works for the moment. I'll think about it...

Sue

Rick

I think it's something to do with the way phpBB deals with cookies.

Ian

it is definitely a problem with the way cookies are dealt with. Have you upgraded your PC or software recently? Including updating your browser?

Rick

I think it might be URL-related. The link that works is "212.104.156.50/phpBB/" and the one that doesn't is "forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/phpBB/", even though "forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk" resolves to "212.104.156.50"...

I unremember whether there's any setting in phpBB that forces it to use a particular URL as its cookie source, but browsing my cookies reveals some cookies using one and some using the other.

Sue

The problem only started since the forum was off line last week. Just before the forum page comes up the default page  that was up during the out of action period flashes up for a second or so. Could this be something to do with it?
No changes at this end except Mozilla added for trial but I still use Google via the microsoft (sorry)internet software.

[ This Message was edited by: Sue on 2004-11-03 15:59 ]

Sue

Roy says he has been running 'Adaware'to protect our system from spyware. Could this have removed or changed a necessary cookie?

Can we check we have the right cookie on our machine. Has it a name?

[ This Message was edited by: Sue on 2004-11-03 21:06 ]

Rick

If you can find an option to "View cookies" or "Browse cookies" then look for ones identified as belonging either to 212.104.156.50 or to forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk.

I think the problem is that phpBB stores some keyed on its own idea of where it is and others keyed on how the visitor reached the system, and these don't match. It should be consistent, but I suspect it isn't.

Delphine

I have also had only pink folders recently.  Until Sue mentioned it I thought it was my fault because I have just installed Kaspersky anti-virus instead of Norton which has been fighting with my windows XP!  Hope Kaspersky is efficient - it is certainly less bad tempered!

PS I have also been running spyware removal programmes

[ This Message was edited by: Delphine on 2004-11-04 12:33 ]

Rick

Spyware removal programs (or at least the reputable ones) are a Good Thing (tm).

Rick

Oh, by the way, I expect the same fix (bookmarking the link that works) should work for anyone... :/

Sue

Rick,
Found cookies list on our machine. None for OAS or with the number or anything like the number you gave above.Do we need to add a cookie(s)?

Rick

I'll see what I can tweak at this end, but I think there's something in phpBB that might need a tweak too.

Sue

I've got yellow folders again :smile: Whatever you tweaked seems to have worked. Thanks Rick.

Rick

I un-re-directed things so that the direct IP address gets used. I'd like to see the domain name work, but that probably means at least a slight tweak in the phpBB configuration, and possibly an upgrade. That'd be work for Ian, and I'm not sure he has time at the moment.