• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hi Everyone

Started by PhilipH, Sep 11, 2013, 00:27:52

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilipH

I've been interested in astronomy ever since I can remember, especially with my late grandfather. Recently, I was given my late grandfather's telescope, an early 1980's orange tube, Celestron C11, a lovely scope. I've taken it into my back garden (in South Norwood) as well as my mother's (Woodmansterne), had some great views of the moon, Saturn and Jupiter, but neither site has a particularly dark sky. I am particularly keen to see some deep sky objects, especially a galaxy like Andromeda. Therefore I have been looking for a local astronomical society that travels to a relatively close dark sky site for quite some time until I happened upon the OAS! I'm unable to come to the next trip in October, but am hoping to come along to the November 29th one. Would also like to attend your October 8th evening at High Elms too - should I bring my scope along? I've recently invested in various extras for this fairly vintage scope such as a Telrad, a variety of oculars and filters and my birthday present in early October is a new 5cm illuminating finderscope by TS - fully correcting (the original was not RACI and I found it difficult to use) plus dew bands + portable 12v power pack. The mount is the original, very basic, but it has a clock drive at least. I decided not to invest in a GOTO mount for now - due to the expense but also because it's kind of cheating a bit - I want a challenge and to learn to find things for myself first, which, perhaps, is half the fun? Looking forward to meeting you in the pub in the near future!  :D

doug

Welcome to you, Philip. Do come along to the observing evening on October 8th; it will be good to meet you. Bring along your `scope and hope the weather is fine. Keep an eye on the website for times, I believe it will start at 19.00 hrs, but check anyway. See you in the Change of Horses in Farnborough village.

Regards, Doug.

Always look on the bright side of life ...

PhilipH

Thanks Doug. Thinking ahead to the deep sky camp of 29th November, I'd like to book soon to be sure of an electrical hook-up, but then wondered whether there would be anyone to help me put up a tent? I'd be very happy to return the favour. The tent I have is definitely too large for one person to erect! Failing that, could ask a friend or family member to join me for the weekend, but it's not very likely anyone could join me.
Best Wishes,
Philip

doug

If you mention the November DSC which you would like to attend and the putting-up-of-tents problem, when you come to the Observing evening on the 8th October,  I am certain there are people who would assist you with help with your tent when you want to put it up.  We are all jolly helpful people ... :D

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...