• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing Session - 9th July

Started by Mike, Jul 03, 2013, 08:42:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

The next Observing is next Tuesday 9th July. Meet at the Change of Horses pub - 87, High St, Farnborough, Orpington, Kent, BR6 7BB - from 8:15pm.

If it is cloudy we will stay in the pub for a chat and a drink, otherwise we will go up to the field when it gets dark enough.

If you wish to go straight to the field then it is best to send me a text message. If we are at the field I will reply if we are still in the pub I won't (as there is no signal).

Also, another reminder that the Imaging Session due this Friday 5th has been rescheduled to the 12th July.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Final reminder that the next Observing Evening is tomorrow night.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Les R

Mike...... I'm really hoping to make it this time..... The skies look gloriously clear too!

What sort of time do you continue until?

Would it be a good time to bring along my goto telescope to run through setting it up? Reading manuals have never been my forte.... And there is no substitute for hands on! (it's an Celestron SE6)

I'm charging the power pack as I type!

Mike

Les, sure bring your kit along. The sun won't set till 9:16 so go to the pub first, it's a kid friendly pub, or just turn up after sunset.

We keep going until the last person drops. But usually no later than midnight.

Les R

Quote from: Mike on Jul 09, 2013, 10:23:55
Les, sure bring your kit along. The sun won't set till 9:16 so go to the pub first, it's a kid friendly pub, or just turn up after sunset.

We keep going until the last person drops. But usually no later than midnight.

Ok.... I've managed to get away from the job I was doing early enough, so I will be with you unless someone unknown happens. See you in a couple f hours.

Mike

OK' i'll be there shortly after 8pm. See you then.

Les R

Quote from: Mike on Jul 09, 2013, 18:31:36
OK' i'll be there shortly after 8pm. See you then.

Oh noes..... im here but not sure who to look for! Im in the garden... blue t shirt and with my littlun.... hopefully youll have a peek in the garden for me mike!

Mike

Nice to meet you last night Les.

Anybody know what happened to Nalin?  When we left the pub he vanished.

Carole

Did you manage to get Les up and running then?
Sorry I couldn't come last night I had to attend and AGM (nearly dropped off to sleep a couple of times as I have been up to 3.30 and 4am four consecutive nights with all the clear skies).

:lol: :lol:

Carole

Mike

Well we tried but his scope is F10, had no finderscope, no manual and he only had a 13mm eyepiece. Findings things to sync on was a job to say the least with such a narrow FOV.

I've advised him to buy a cheap red dot finder and stick that on and get hold of a Wide FOV eyepiece of at least 25mm focal length or even better 32mm.

Carole

That would be a real challenge to a beginner.
Good advice Mike.  I can't even cope with a larger FOV and no finder.

Carole

Mike

An F10 scope is not at all ideal for a beginner. Unfortunately they never explain that in the shop as they just want your cash.

Les R

Quote from: Mike on Jul 10, 2013, 17:35:41
Well we tried but his scope is F10, had no finderscope, no manual and he only had a 13mm eyepiece. Findings things to sync on was a job to say the least with such a narrow FOV.

I've advised him to buy a cheap red dot finder and stick that on and get hold of a Wide FOV eyepiece of at least 25mm focal length or even better 32mm.

I am just. In the process of ordering a red dot finder off eBay.... Just waiting for a reply that the screw fittings are ok on mine. (Are they universal?) it was something though to be fair, I knew was a problem and one of the reasons I'd been wanting to meet so could get advice. (I wasn't sure if an optical finder scope might have been better for example.)

This is the one I am looking at.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Dot-Finder-Scope-for-telescope-two-hole-fixing-/160953007424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25798bfd40

There is another on there ending today which is currently cheaper and specifically states it's for use on a Celestron.

As mentioned, I do have a lower power eyepiece. It just wasn't the one attached at the time and I just hadn't noticed. (Everything w packed in the box and I had thought both eye prices were inside.

Mike

Les be careful. You're scope had no mounting bar. Make sure you can screw it on. It might be easier to get one that just sticks on.

Carole

It beggars belief that they can sell a scope with a small FOV and no finderscope and means of even atatching one.

Carole