• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hi!

Started by Anonymous, Aug 10, 2002, 01:10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie

You can't kill a dream.

Rick

There hasn't been nearly as much drive behind space exploration since the Cold War ended. A great many space-exploration dreams have faded  since then.

Richie

Communism precipitates endeavour (?).

Mike

Although I feel some of the military operations are necessary, I think too much is spent on military equipment. It is a shame that a good percentage of this money isn't pipelined into more worthy causes, of which space exploration and scientific research involving space is just one.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

QuoteCommunism precipitates endeavour (?).
The fear that the Russians would get there first certainly did...

Richie

Do you think the Pitcairn Islands would be a good location for a major new observatory?

[ This Message was edited by: Richie on 2002-08-19 00:48 ]

Mike

I think that with the British Weather putting an observatory anywhere near it is a bad idea ! Unless its a radio observatory !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Richie

The Pitcairn Islands are indeed British territory - but in the Pacific! That rather throws the astronomer's usual moan about British sky conditions, doesn't it? :wink:

Mike

Shows you how good my Geography is, I thought it was near Scotland - LOL !!

Rick

That depends how high Pitcairn is. If it's less than 12000ft above sea level, then forget it... :wink:

BTW: When the subject changes completely, it's better to start a new topic rather than keep an old topic (with a totally un-related subject) alive.

Richie

Well actually there is a revolutionary link, as Pitcairn is the home of the descendants of the 1789 Bounty Mutiny, but as its highest point is a mere 347m, it looks like they will be carrying on like that without you... :wink: