• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pop-ups from the OAS website?

Started by Rick, Jul 09, 2004, 19:02:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

If it appears that you are getting pop-ups delivered to you when you visit the OAS website, then please could you put a note here saying:

1) Which browser you are using.
2) What the pop-up is advertising.
3) If you can figure it out, where the pop-up came from.

I have my suspiscions (thanks Paul) but I'd like to hear more...

Mike

I use both IE and FireFox and have never had a pop-up.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

I use IE6 & used to get them every time I'd visit - I think they were from a 'surveilance TV camera company' I've now installed a google Add-on bar to my browser & it blocks all the pop-up's - Works great. A few weeks ago I had a major problem with a pop-up from 680180.net which was mobile phone related - Every time I would surf it would pop-up every 30secs or so - It was doing my head in... After much searching the net I managed to find a fix - took me about a week to sort it out.

Cheers,  John

Rick

Paul reports pop-ups from IE and lack of pop-ups from Opera. Source appears to be www dot bravenet dot com.

Rick

Rick

I'm experimenting with an alternative counter hosted on my home system. Please report any problems you have with it.

Whitters

Rick

One of the side-effects of this, because I've added to counter script to most of the html pages on the site, is that I'm seeing the referring information from some of the search engines. I offer this string for consideration:

astrophotography scotch

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2004-07-23 15:35 ]

Ian

well during those long exposures in winter, there is nothing like a warming dram.

I doubt I'd build a website to say so though...

Mike

My guess is something to do with making a Scotch Mount.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

or improving the tracking of an etx using nothing but scotch tape?

Whitters

Or they just heard about DSC. :wink:

Mike

Tried to access the OAS page from work today and got my first ever pop-up !!! Took me to a ringtone site - http://64.237.46.147/sms-universe/sms-uk-fuel.html

Rick

From the main index page, presumably. What browser?

Mike

Yes - and it is IE version 6.