• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Timelapse Test

Started by Mike, Jan 16, 2012, 17:34:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Did a timelapse video test using my new 10.5mm F2.8 fisheye lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUnVZl-VJ0

The lens gives a complete 180ยบ view. The tree at the bottom of the image is at the end of my garden and the house with the light at the top left is my neighbours house which was behind and to the left of the camera. I have my video head on the manfrotto so I wasn't able to point the lens vertically up so it is tilted slightly.

The light pollution was atrocious last night due to a lot of moisture or ice crystals in the air. Ideally I need to process the images to remove that first if possible. There was aso a heck of a lot of aircraft about too.

The images were 8 seconds each and spaced one minute apart. Total time is just over 2 hours. ISO is 1000. I will have to experiment with ISO setting and sub length. Unfortunately some of the image quality is lost in the YouTube video compression.

Next time i'll take them closer apart so it is smoother.

You can clearly see Orion bottom left, Jupiter and the Pleiades and towards the end of the clip Ursa Major shows its head at top left. If you are eagle eyed you can see M31 top right too.

If your PC is fast enough choose 1080p HD settings and view in full screen.

The flashes are my neighbours annoying outside light that comes on whenever the foxes run around his garden.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

It's great to see so much of the sky!

Definitely a lot of aircraft.  That lens will be useful for meteor showers.

Mark

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Jan 16, 2012, 17:49:00...That lens will be useful for meteor showers....

That is exactly what I was thinking when I was using it last night. Can't wait to try it at a dark site.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Really interesting Mike.. Like you say will be great for meteor captures & watching constellations rise & set - I know when I played around with capturing meteors FOV was  a major issue.

Cheers,  John

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

mickw

What lens is that Mike ?

Was that with the Canon ?

Mike

No it was with a Nikon D7000. The lens is a Nikon 10.5mm F2.8 Fisheye.

mickw

Mac