• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter, Io and Europa (15 Aug 2011 1:37am)

Started by The Thing, Aug 15, 2011, 10:21:44

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

LX90 8" UHTC, HEQ5, Moonfish 2x ED Barlow, SPC880 flashed to 900 webcam. Guided on a star with PHD (not a moon).
480/600 frames @5fps using SharpCap processed in Registax 6 using default settings and a fair bit of wavlets. No darks or flats.

A clear night at last! Juputer was 25 degrees high when I captured the avi. Hoping to do a lot more in a month or so when Jupiter is up all night. I was very pleased to get the moons in the shot.

This is full size.

Sharpcap settings (it creates a txt file for each capture):

[Philips SPC 900NC PC Camera]
Resolution=640x480
Frame Rate (fps)=5.00
Colour Space / Compression=YUY2
Exposure=-7
Brightness=64
Contrast=32
Saturation=1
Gamma=0
ColorEnable=255
BacklightCompensation=0
Gain=57

MarkS

Wow!  Very nice indeed!

It's a great scale and the processing gives a very natural looking result.  You must be really pleased with that image.

How was the seeing (atmospheric turbulence) - I guess it must have been pretty good to produce a detailed result like that.

Mark

The Thing

Thanks Mark,

I am very pleased with the scale, getting two moons in is amazing.

This is the first webcam image I've done for ages. I got an SCT to 2" adaptor to take the ED barlow so the light didn't have to negotiate a diagonal as in all my previous attempts. I also made sure collimation was spot on and focused with a bahtinov mask on a nearby star. I started imaging when Jupiter was only +10degrees altitude to get some practice.

Seeing was not great, the planet was a bit like a blancmange on a bouncy castle with a herd of kids playing on it! I think Registax 6 has done an incredible job of pulling the pixels together. Guiding helped a lot and I was surprised to be able to see a couple of stars on the webcam. The scale of the guiding image was too small to use a moon - I tried.

Next trick is to find a better spot in the garden where I can polar align and see Jupiter when it's above the trees at the back of garden. Just south of your pond would fit the bill!

Mike

Nice image Dunc. It's good to see people having a go at planetary images again.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

Thanks Mike. Jupiter is going to be big this year. :D I hope others give it a go.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

Carole

Very nice Duncan.  Nice to see the SEB back again.  Where did you find clear skies last night, I looked out several times and it just seemed to be cloudy?

Carole

The Thing

Thanks Carole.

It was completely clear in Beckenham from about 11:45 to 01:30 when some cloud started to appear.

Tony G

Well done Duncan, and it's nice when you process something, and you get that little extra (Moons), which makes it even more worthwhile.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

PhilB

Very nice. Jupiter's set to become an excellent target this time around.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

Really very good Duncan, I missed seeing this. I see you used the SPC, I have one but have not used it yet.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!