• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Weird Observation During transit....!

Started by JohnP, Jun 16, 2004, 00:47:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I noticed that in one of my avi's of the transit a strange thing happened. I've attached an animated gif of just 5-raw frames - as you can see in the middle frame it looks like some kind of 'flare' shoots out from the side of Venus. This is only on a single frame. These are unprocessed frames so I don't think it's any kind of artifact.

Can anyone explain?

Link to animation is here - it's about 100K download.

Cheers,  John.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.punnett/graphics/oas/Transit_Weird.gif

[ This Message was edited by: JohnP on 2004-06-15 16:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: JohnP on 2004-06-15 16:50 ]

Ian

you know the beginning of "war of the worlds"...

Certainly looks interesting. Have you posted it to QCUIAG?

Rick

What's the time-step between frames? Is it a seeing/focus effect?

JohnP

Frames were captured at 5 per sec - Exposure was in the region of 1/1500 sec.

I haven't posted on QCUIAG - will do that next.

John.

Rick

So something that lasted less than 2/5ths of a second....

Mike

John can you post that single frame in full res please.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Greg

Could you please show one or two frames either side of this one although you say there is nothing on them. Are the frames you are showing processed in some way or is it definitely on the original captures.
What was the equipment - video or ccd frame grabs? Did you notice any other optical effects in the filed of view not necessarily associated with Venus' disk?

Greg

A quick calculation would suggest that IF it is associated with Venus then the longest possible time reference for this "object" if it started on the surface of Venus would be 10 seconds. That means that it would have to be moving at some 4,000 - 5,000 kilometers per 10 seconds!!

JohnP

Hi Greg,

I'm in Scotland at the moment so I will post the other frames later. Anyhow, I can confirm that the frame I posted is totally raw - no type of processing whatsoever. The frames immediately before & after look identical except there is NO hint of any flares etc. just the black disk of Venus.

Cheers,  John

Mike

Im gonna guess it was a bird or other such object passing by.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan