• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Gallery problems

Started by mickw, Apr 15, 2011, 20:51:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Gallery is uploading the file OK, but when I put information in I get the following message:
QuoteThere was an error while processing a database query

Rick

This is during the upload process (the second part of the upload), or when subsequently trying to modify the information you entered previously?

Information that usually helps:

What size (both X and Y dimensions and size in Kbytes) and format is your image?
What date and time did you get the error?
The exact text of the error message.

I've tried an upload of a small (640x480 140Kb) JPG image, and it worked fine.

Carole

Hi Rick,

I tried to upload (3 times) just before my NA Nebula post on the Forum, to give you an idea of time.
2.15Mb Jpeg.

It said that the file had uploaded successfully, and then went to the info page.  Once I had entered the info it said
QuoteThere was an error while processing a database query  
as previously quoted.

Just looked at the size in Photoshop, is a bit large 42.9 inches wide and 28.56 inches high, but would have though it would just shrink it, or fail at the first hurdle.  Just says
QuoteThe size of files uploaded from your client to the server should not exceed 30000 KB
on the gallery. 

Carole

Rick

Quote from: Carole on Jun 12, 2011, 18:18:33Just looked at the size in Photoshop, is a bit large 42.9 inches wide and 28.56 inches high, but would have though it would just shrink it, or fail at the first hurdle.  Just says
QuoteThe size of files uploaded from your client to the server should not exceed 30000 KB
on the gallery. 

The helpful figures are the X and Y dimensions in pixels (not inches, centimetres, furlongs, microns, light years, ...). Multiply one by the other, then multiply that by the image depth in bytes (usually by 1 for greyscale, and 4 for colour (yes, I know 3 makes more sense, but the software usually decides 4 makes more sense)). If that result exceeds 30000 then your image is Too Big.

Quote from: Carole on Jun 12, 2011, 18:18:33Jbut would have though it would just shrink it, or fail at the first hurdle.

The gallery doesn't know how big the uncompressed image will be until it has had it uploaded, and tried to uncompress it, and it can't shrink it unless it can first uncompress it...

Carole

Yup, too big.
I was just going by file size which appeared to be OK.

Carole