• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Rotating focuser

Started by mickw, Dec 06, 2010, 11:06:57

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

I've just dismembered dismantled the focuser off the Burgess and sent it to IK for a fitting re: the Lakeside focuser.

There is a collar attached to the tube and 3 grub screws lock the focuser to it, the screws locate in a groove around the focuser.

If the screws are loose, the focuser rotates.
If I replaced the grub screws with knurled screws (they look to be 3mm), would I effectively have a rotating focuser - Or am I getting into the realms of doing something really bad  :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

It will work, but check to see if the screws go into a grove or just a flange, if its the latter the focuser could fall off if you do not do the screws up properly.

Chris

P.S. Just got my stepper motor for my electronic focuser, doing it all myself, non ascom but a total cost of £ 62.00

mickw

Hmmm

I think it might be safer to pass on that idea, I'll have an experiment when it all comes back.

Pity about your steppers being non Ascom, but I seem to remember someone selling a controller board for USB, so you could make it Ascom.
I'll see if I can find out who sells it - Mike should know, or even have something that would do the trick.

Mike

I'll have to have a read of the Ascom spec.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

There is a Yahoo group for the Ascom standard.

Rocket Pooch

The specs and libraries are all on ASCOM the website.

Rocket Pooch

I would not bother Mike its .Net and I know how much you hate Microsoft, even if most of the world works on it.

Even worse it says MEADE in there a lot as well!

Rocket Pooch

Mac,

Just had a look there are .Net driver templated for ASCOM when you install the developer kit.

Chris

Rocket Pooch

Mac,

Had a further look, ASCOM builds a project template for the focuser, there is an object focus and a number of methods

public int Position
       {
           // TODO Replace this with your implementation
           get { throw new PropertyNotImplementedException("Position", false); }
       }

public void SetupDialog()
       {
           SetupDialogForm F = new SetupDialogForm();
           F.ShowDialog();
       }

public double StepSize
       {
           get { throw new PropertyNotImplementedException("StepSize", false); }
       }

Looks like you replace the methods with your own code, for example for the method Focuser.Halt, as below

public void Halt()
        {
            throw new MethodNotImplementedException("Halt");
        }

I guess this would morph into

public void Halt()
        {
            StopMotor(1);  //StopMoto with the parameter 1 is how I have explicitely defined one of the outputs
        }

Cool eh!

Need to get my head around it a little more bit it looks manageable but as usual I need to check some stuff with ASCOM.

Chris

Rocket Pooch

Yippeee, have it all compiling in C# Express now!!!

Now unfortunately I have to wait for the stepper controller now before I can continue.

DAM!

MarkS

Good luck Chris - it looks like a very interesting project.

How will you interface between the PC and the motor itself?

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I have a StepperBee.

Chris

mickw

So you'll soon have an Ascom compliant focuser for less than £100 - cool  8)

Mac

QuoteSo you'll soon have an Ascom compliant focuser for less than £100 - cool

What you really mean to say is he will have an ascom driver to operate a focuser and a focuser for less then £100 ;)

Mac.

I'll be starting my projects in the new year, now the garage is empty (and all my electronics are now unpacked and set up).

PSU, Oscilloscope, Breadboard, ect.

mickw

Stoppit Mac

Otherwise I'll grass you up for having thinly disguised hide, posing as an observatory.

Put me down for 5 kilos of venison please mate  ;)