• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pier adapter problem continued from Observatory installation thread

Started by Carole, Jun 28, 2010, 11:22:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Continuing from the Observatory installation thread.

It appears that this is the correct Pier adapter for an EQ5 and they told me it would fit the CG5, and it jolly well doesn't.  They said they are now going to add a further hole to future pier adapters to fit the CG5 (should have done this long ago) and they are going to send me this as soon as they have made it, but want me to send them my CG5 Latitude adjustment rod for size etc.  Not happy to do this in case it gets lost in the post, then I'll be stuffed for DSC as well, so have sent them a photocopy and dimensions.  I've also asked them to shave off a bit inside the recess.

Meanwhile I'll have to plod on with the existing one and the makeshift "rod". 

Carole

Mike

Send it recorded delivery and get them to foot the bill.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteSend it recorded delivery and get them to foot the bill.
Yes, I did think about doing that Mike.  I'll see how they get on with the photocopy.

I'm still holding back the POD delivery charge (which was £110) and the price of an extra shelf they delivered to me in error (£38) and I decided to use (they actually sent me 4 instead of 1), so I have something to take any expenses out of.  They haven't asked me for either yet,  but I'm not paying until I'm totally satisfied.  

Mick's post from the other thread:
QuoteIf it is just excess paint in the recess, they will all probably be the same.

It will have been made so the mount fits inside the recess with a bit of space so it can move (what you want), then they spray it.
If the painter was a bit generous with the paint or there were any runs in the paint, the space will be reduced and tight fitting.

Perhaps you should ask your friend Ian to take a look - at least he should be able  to tell you if there is an engineering problem or a finish problem.

Yep, I'll sort something out with Ian's help if necessary, but I don't see why I should be having to make modifcations to something they should have supplied correctly in the first place.  I'll be sending the existing Pier adapter back anyway once they've made and sent me a new one.  

Grrrr

Carole

Carole

Fay's post moved from Observatory thread.
QuoteI've had things that really will not go on & it was excess paint!

If it had been just one problem, I might have done some adjustments, but having the wrong size hole for the latitude knobs rod (what is the proper name for this?), and the recess being tight, I thought the retailers ought to try to sort it out before I start doing things.

Also another problem, as if I don't have enough with this. When I attempted a polar alignment last night, the pier has a two plates at the top, and I can't look through the polar scope without putting my head on one side, as my chin is in the way.  I don't believe it!

Photo off their website

Mac

QuoteWhen I attempted a polar alignment last night, the pier has a two plates at the top, and I can't look through the polar scope

why not just drift align then.
Simple, drift align due south, and then either east or west.
YOU MUST DO BOTH.

http://www.petesastrophotography.com/index.html?mainframe=http://www.petesastrophotography.com/tutorial/polaralignment.html

Carole

Quotewhy not just drift align then.
If only..........

If you read the earlier posts Mac you'll see that currently that is impossible.  I intend to do drift align once I've got latitude control knobs that will turn.  Meanwhile I am doing it the traditional way as best I can.

You'll see what I mean when you come round.

Carole

Mike

I presume this setup is for imaging. In which case turn your camera on and use that to do a drift alignment or even better, as you have GoTo, do an Iterative Alignment.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteIf you read the earlier posts Mac you'll see that currently that is impossible.

No, its just a challenge.  :lol:
Not impossible. ;)

QuoteMeanwhile I am doing it the traditional way as best I can.

but you just said you cant drift align. 8)

I'll pm you later with dates, ect.

Mac.

Carole

To do drift alignment you must be able to turn the latitude control knobs, and as explained above they currently will not turn more than a fraction.  I had to unscrew and rotate the Pier head last night in order to get Polaris in almost the right place.  I'm not risking putting a telescope and camera on top of the Pier as well while I unscrew it.

I'm just going to wait until they send me the revised Pier adapter.  If all else fails I'll inscrew the legs from the CG5 tripod and get my friend Ian to put mounting holes in the base plate for me.

QuoteMeanwhile I am doing it the traditional way as best I can.
but you just said you cant drift align

My traditional way (as I've never done a drift alignment yet*), is to get Polaris in the little ring in the big ring around the pole looking through the polar scope (according to date and time), currently I can't even do that without unscrewing the pier plates.

*I've read up several different sets of instructions on how to drift align and they all say turn the latitude control knobs to adjust one of the stars.
Hope this explains what I am talking about. 

As I have no experience of doing an alignment any other way, I don't see the point in trying to tackle something unfamiliar when it's just for a temporary short time. 

Don't suppose you were thinking of ordering a VISOR when you order your POD Mac, I think I am going to get rid of mine.

Carole

Mac

QuoteDon't suppose you were thinking of ordering a VISOR when you order your POD Mac, I think I am going to get rid of mine.

Had'nt thought of one, but as im totally rural i probably wont need one.
Will be ordering mine as soon as we move.

Mac.

Carole

Quoteas im totally rural i probably wont need one.
Lucky you.

Carole

Carole

Just done an interesting experiment.  

Tried out another CG5 mount on my Pier adapter, and that rotates OK manually and the latitude control knobs work.  Mine won't even rotate manually.  So must be that my own mount is marginally wider.

Well at least that tells me where the problem lies.  Meanwhile I'll still wait until Altair Astro send me a new Pier adapter as that will have the proper screw hole and maybe the fit might be better.

Carole

Carole

PhilB came over today to take a look at the POD and I was showing him my pier problem and he ended up helping me to shave not only paint, but metal work off the base of my Mount which now rotates - yippee!

Many thanks Phil

I can now move forward.

Carole