• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Off-axis guider

Started by RobertM, Jun 23, 2010, 14:24:32

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

I'm considering buying one of these, has anyone experience of using one they could share.

Many thanks
Robert

Rocket Pooch

Yip,

I'd recomment it for many reasons, mainly because the guiding is really good, no flexture issues, but also you only need 1 dew heater etc.  But they take a little getting used too.

Mike

Quote from: Space Dog on Jun 23, 2010, 16:56:02But they take a little getting used too.

In what respect ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Getting the focus of the guide cam par focal with the imaging cam, or at least close enough for the software to calculate a centroid.

RobertM

Thanks, but which one? there are so many ... there's the Telescope Service 'wafer thin' jobbie all the way up to the Giant Easy Guider plus a whole lot in between.  What makes it more difficult is that there aren't many critical dimensions mentioned.

I'll do some more research but any recommendation would help narrow the field.

Cheers
Robert

Mike

so how do you focus it ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I have the Telecope Services one, its thin and is useful, I think, because you can still image at F2.8 with it in place.

Mike, you focus it by sliding the guide came up and down on a focus pole, its really tricky bit when you have the hang of it its ok.

Its outside now guiding away!!!  the first time in ages I've been bothered to image.

Chris

RobertM

Thanks Chris... now it's measurement time ...

RobertM

Chris, any chance of posting some pictures of the OAG on your equipment? If you could include a ruler then I could take some measurements.

Thanks
Robert

MarkS

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Could do, but not sure what thats going to do but I will.

Chris

RobertM

It'll show me how much clearance there is for the guide camera based on where your guider is.  I don't think there will be a problem but you never can tell though from that image on the other post the clearance looks ok.

Is it very strong and can you see any weaknesses in the design?

Robert

Mike

I'm very interested in this system myself as flexure is definitely an issue. This system would be perfect for the guys with the HEQ-5's also as it would greatly reduce weight.

Rocket Pooch

Ok, the thing is only 9mm thick the back is a T mount and the front is?  Can't remember I think its 48mm.

Its really fiddly and you can only place the second camera at 120 deg angles and therefore if your guiding s/w can deal with RA/DEC totation your stuffed, this is not an issue with Maxim and AA.

The focusing is quite nasty, but they all are.

But, its wide at the front, thin and very rigid.

Look at it here you will see what I mean by fiddly http://www.telescope-service.com/accessories/start/accessoriesstart.html#TSOAG9

Chris

Mike