• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Eclipse pictures and timelapse from Mazatlan - first drafts

Started by Roberto, Apr 17, 2024, 11:05:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

We had high clouds in Mazatlan, Mexico but the eclipse was nonetheless spectacular.  I have circulated a simple extract from one of my videos and an animation of the Baily's bead formation just after C3 in the WhatsApp chat.  Below are some more pictures and a timelapse after working some more on the data.

No stacking and processing can do justice to the real life visual experience.
I had been practising with SharpCap for months to automate my imaging sequence and the software worked flawlessly.  The weather didn't cooperate and there was no chance of capturing the solar corona through the high level clouds.  Captured a number of bracketed exposures in SER videos starting 20 seconds before C2 all the way to 20 seconds after C3.  There were scripted captures also for the partial phases - where the clouds are even more obvious. Totality lasted 4m 18s from the rooftop where we were close to the beach front of Mazatlan.

Note how cloudy it was after C4...

For details see here:  https://www.astrobin.com/0ef83r/F/

Partial phases - 1.5ms through Baader solar film
C2 Ring - 0.8ms at 18:07.3
C2 Baily's beads - 0.2ms at 18.07.4
Prominences - between 0.5ms and 5.0ms during totality
C3 Baily's beads - 0.8ms at 18.11.7
C3 Ring - 0.8ms at 18.11.8

All taken through a 92mm refractor working at 491mm EFL and using an ASI2600MC camera on a Sky-Watcher SolarQuest mount.

Timelapse

Diamond Rings Composition

Baily's Beads Composition

Prominences

Totality with some inner Corona

Composition of the above

I may tweak the above as they appear dark in some monitors but I doubt I have much more data to play with.  Already booked for 2027 in Egypt and 2028 in Australia!

Roberto

Carole

Fab images Roberto. Wow already booked for 2027 and 2028. 

Dave A

Roberto,

Great images-  I was watching Mazatlan on the internet as the eclipse took place- It must have been amazing to be there in person and experience first hand
Booked for 2027 and 2028 already- crikey !!

The Thing

Wow! Dream stuff.

Seeing a total eclipse is on my bucket list so I'm planning to drive down to Spain for 2026, but it'll be just before sunset so a bit iffy. Maybe 2027 as well.

Roberto

Thank you! Yes, the 2026 eclipse is just above the horizon in Catalunya; a bit higher in Iceland but that's a cloud magnet.
The 2027 eclipse passes over Gibraltar and northern Morocco before crossing over Tunisia and then onto Egypt. That's a much better option.

Roberto