• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory installation progress

Started by Carole, Feb 25, 2010, 17:47:34

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilB

It was a difficult delivery, but it looks like it was worth it  :P

All you need now are some clear skies.... :evil:

"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Lots of funnies there, made me laugh:

QuoteCan you please wait till after DSC week, I need to complete an image.

Quotemuch smaller than the hole it is supposed to screw into.
my husband was a bit shocked at the size of it.
as she wants to see the size of it.

Hmmm, it's a wonder pampass grass hasn't been mentioned again. 

Altair Astro are sending me another "metal post" which will fit the adapter and hopefully will also fit the mount, fingers crossed.

Carole

Carole

They have sent me a metal post instead of another Pier adapter which has arrived and is in fact a piece of bolt, which does fit the adapter.  However the bit that the latitude screws has to screw on also has a thread.  I have tried it and it does fit, but it is difficult to turn the latitude knobs.  It turns part of the way, but not all the way as it does on the tripod.  

I am not sure whether this is because the Mount sits into a recess which is about 3/4" deep and is fairly tight, but on the mount there is only a very shallow recess.  (and therefore even if I had the right metal post it might still be difficult) or whether it is because this is not really the right thing for the job, and would it because it is threaded wear out my latitude control screws? 

It's going to be difficult to do minor adjustments, but once properly polar and drift aligned would not matter, however I might have to use this mount for DSC.  

I have told them I regard this as a temporary FIX and sincerely hope there is a proper Mount adapter for the CG5.  If not,  I've not been fobbed off with this adapter all along (they mentioned that other people have to use the above method).

I guess if all else fails I'll have to get my friend Ian to do some more metal work for me.  

Incidentally Ian says if any-one needs any metal work doing he does do this as a side line, although I did tell him I thought most of you could do your own.  

Carole

mickw

QuoteI am not sure whether this is because the Mount sits into a recess which is about 3/4" deep and is fairly tight, but on the mount there is only a very shallow recess.  (and therefore even if I had the right metal post it might still be difficult).

Is this what is making it difficult to turn the knobs ?

If it is, there is very likely a build up of paint or other grot in the recess.  Just run your finger round the inside of the recess to feel if its smooth, if it feels a bit lumpy sand paper should take care of it.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteIs this what is making it difficult to turn the knobs ?

I'm not sure, will take a look at it.

Carole

PhilB

Carole, the azimuth adjusters are probably made from something soft and this is why they bind on the bolt or studding they've sent you. As you now have an example of the correct thread it would probably be best to get Ian to chuck up a piece of 303 stainless and machine a proper pillar.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

Went out last night and tried to do a polar alignment, but it was impossible.  I ended up having to loosen the top of the pier and rotate it instead of using the latitude knobs.  So I'd never be able to do a drift alignment.  I think it is actually more to do with the tight fit of the Mount head into the recess.

I have told them today that I want the Pier adapter changed and if they don't have anything more suitable I want my money back and I'll either get one custom made, or take the legs off the CG5 tripod and somehow get that fitted onto the Pier.

I also this morning removed the VISOR from the POD as I can't get on with it, it is just in the way most of the time.  Just hope I can sell it as it wasn't cheap.

Carole

mickw

QuoteI think it is actually more to do with the tight fit of the Mount head into the recess.

Sandpaper or oil may loosen it

Carole

I don't want to bugger about with it in case I am changing it.

I think I should be starting a new thread on this, so will continue on that. 

Carole

mickw

If it is just excess paint in the recess, they will all probably be the same.

It will have been made so the mount fits inside the recess with a bit of space so it can move (what you want), then they spray it.
If the painter was a bit generous with the paint or there were any runs in the paint, the space will be reduced and tight fitting.

Perhaps you should ask your friend Ian to take a look - at least he should be able  to tell you if there is an engineering problem or a finish problem.

Fay

I've had things that really will not go on & it was excess paint!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Any new posts re pier problem please onto new thread.

Ta

Carole

A couple more pictures:

I've had electrics and Network cables installed this week.  
I've moved the Observatory slightly so the Pier is slightly offset to get closer to Zenith towards SSE.  
I have now fitted rubber flooring, but my son in law won't fix it down to the decking yet as he wants me to be 100% sure this is where I want to keep it, so floor sealant not yet done, will have to do so before the winter sets in.  Still have some rubber floor tiles left if I do decide to change it.  N.B. Flooring not finished when I took these photos. 

Pier was finally sorted yesterday only 5 1/2 weeks since the delivery! Altair Astro finally delivered a new pier adapter with a threaded insert that would fit my Mount latitude rod. Not without lots of chasing and being ignored.  
The bay is big enough to hold all my (current) equipment.  

I'm running all the cables from the scope and Mount through loops on the back of my seat (which I won't move), so I don't trip over them.  The power cable runs underneath the seat, as I need power in the bay and at the Mount.  RCD Surge protector by Mount and Network cable socket in Bay.

mickw

And the fishing net is to catch spiders ?

:lol:

Carole

Something strange here.
I replied to Mick's post which posted OK and it's disappeared.

Anyway, to reply again:
QuoteAnd the fishing net is to catch spiders ?

Yes a temporary measure as I had one fall down on a thread in front of me when I was sitting at the laptop.  

I now have a better gadget.

Carole