• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Login doesn't work

Started by JohnP, Mar 03, 2004, 04:02:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Delphine

I have just managed to log in using my old computer and windows 98.  I wonder if the problem is with XP - can't login with that at all.

Rick

I didn't have any problems until I installed Firefox 1.0 on the W2K system at work. It has terrible difficulty logging in, but the old Netscape 4.78 on the same system had no trouble at all ever, so my guess is the problems are almost certainly entirely down to the browser settings (and especially how it handles cookies) and phpBB's interpretation of them.

Ian said he was going to look into it... :wink:

Ian

and I'm getting no fault found on any of my systems. I think the individual browser and security setings are the only remaining place to look.

What to do about it is something else... I'm not entirely sure that upgrading the board will make any difference, but I'll start looking at doing it anyway.

Rick

It's very odd. There must be some setting somewhere. Firefox has a handly little URL about:config which can reveal quite a lot. I wonder whether the "signon.rememberSignons" option is fighting with the cookies?

This morning was really weird; I logged in and it refused to admit it. The bbs demanded my name and password for two posts I made in "Upsets...", but then suddenly it decided it would let me into "Behind the Scenes" without a challenge. When I got back to the main index I found I was logged in....

Another thought; check the date and time on your system. Sometimes time-drifts can cause trouble...

Rick

...and then I'm logged out again, for no obvious reason. Weird.

Rick

...and back in, possibly as a result of having to enter name and password to make that post. Weird indeed are the ways of Firefox. :wink:

Rick

Havn't been having any obvious trouble with the login this week, so whatever you did fixed something... :wink: