• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Login doesn't work

Started by JohnP, Mar 03, 2004, 04:02:00

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Can anyone explain why I can login to the forum using my work PC but not my home PC? Is it something to do with Internet settings? I have cookies enabled.

Thks,  John.

Ian

John,

there is a small configuration problem I've been unable to track down. Basically the most reliable method of logging on is to use the login link (top right corner) and click the remember me button.

Hopefully this problem will go away when I upgrade the board. I've only been talking about doing it for a year :sad:

Rick

I've noticed that a few browsers seem incapable of providing any referrer information. When actions are context-sensitive (as they're likely to be on a BB system like this, and as they definitely are on the OAS membership form) the lack of referrer information is going to lead to failures and other strangeness.

The prime culprit on the gallery archive is a browser that identifies itself thus:

"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

which is being used by someone on zen.co.uk.

Ring any bells?

Rick

In a fit of desperation, at work, I installed Firefox on the PC that's on my desk...

You remember that problem some folk had with staying logged in?

Yep, I'm seeing it here... :/

Rick

Hmmm... Definitely something odd with this version of FireFox on Windows. It works as I expect at home on Linux....

Rick

Anyone else (a) using FireFox on a Windows platform, and (b) having trouble with logins?

Sue

Yes. I tried Firefox yesterday (still have it alongside explorer to compare) and it wouldn't keep the loggin.. and the folders were all pink!

Rick

Definitely something odd going on with Windows version of FireFox, but the Linux version doesn't seem to have trouble. As far as I can tell all the cookies that phpBB has stored do make some sort of sense....

Ian

which version of FF for Windows are you using Rick?

Rick

That'll be this version:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0

Rick

Sometimes login works, usually if I get to the login panel via the main panel, and shift-reload both the main panel and the login panel along the way. If I manage to get myself logged in there's still no guarantee the login will persist for more than (maybe) an hour or so. This suggests there's possibly some strange cache effect behind the problem...

Rick

It'll be all those connection attempts from dhcp-230-2e118.gatwick.eur.slb.com (136.250.230.118) or maybe from gw186.gatwick.eur.slb.com (136.250.228.186).

Rick

Hmmm... Here's a Firefox experiment. Let's see if cache checking is the problem...

type about:config
search for browser.cache.check_doc_frequency.
change its value to 1

Here's a list of possible values:

0: Check the cached page is current once per browser session
1: Check every time I view the page
2: Never check (always use cached page)
3 (default): Check when the page is out of date (automatically determined)

Rick

Nope. That didn't work...

Ian

I've just "upgraded" to v1.0 from RC1. Let me have a play see what happens.