• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Canon Screw

Started by Fay, Oct 16, 2009, 12:23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I bought a camera fixing screw today, to fix Canon onto the Gemini bar, but it is far too short.

Does anyone know where I can get a suitable long one.

Thanks
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

B&Q or local hardware store.

Take the screw along and find something the same diameter with a similar looking thread. Should work fine.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Fay if you've already got the bolt and not fitted it - just try the fit into the cameara without it being on the bar to see if it's an easy fit.
I suspect it will be Whitworth or other "old" thread - Which I have some of  ;)

If you haven't got it let me know what length you want.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Found a bolt Mick, but has a round proud end on, which will not allow the bar to sit flat in the dovetail. I am thinking i would have to have an end on as the hole in the dovetail is not for a screw & so nothing to hold it in. If you know what I mean

mickw

I think you're saying that there is not a thread in the hole in the Gemini bar that you are trying to us, so you are using a bolt with a head on it that gets in the way of the dovetail.

Is the hole in the Gemini the same size all the way through, or is it wider on one side - could you use the bolt you've got if then head was smaller

Fay

Yes, that was what I was trying to say, Mick. hole same size all through, yes could use bolt if no head on or a recess was made around hole

PhilB

Hi Fay,

If you're still stuck for a solution, bring the bar and bolt along to the meeting on Thursday. I may be able to make you something suitable.

Cheers

Phil
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Fay

That is kind of you Paul, but Mick has figured something out. See you tuesday

Rocket Pooch

Could allways glue it on.

mickw

QuoteSee you tuesday
Fay, today is Tuesday - get a grip woman  :roll:

Quoteglue it on
Oh Chris - you spoiled the surprise  :(

Suppose I'll have to do it properly now  :roll:

Fay

i know today is tuesday............ :o