• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

A few from last night, M81, M82, M65, M66, NGC3628 and Christmas tree Cluster

Started by Daniel, Jan 21, 2009, 19:52:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Managed to get out late last night, unfortunately too late to get most of the nice nebulosity around this time of year, so I had to mostly image Galaxy's which aren't that well suited to the hyperstar's field of view.

Anyway, I did manage to get a bit of time on Christmas tree cluster although im still struggling with gradients, even though I took sky flats for this at the end of the day (went to sleep about 11:00am) Im starting to wonder if this is a common problem imaging at F1.9 in light poluted areas. That said it was definitely an improvement on the flats I've taken so far with the hyperstar.

M81 and M82 were 2 hours worth of subs at 120s each ISO 320
Leo Triplet was the same except only about 25 minutes worth of subs
Christmas tree cluster was about an hour at 90s each ISO 320

Slowly getting there If i can just sort out the gradients this would be perfect, im also wondering if it has anything to do with the CLS filter letting through light polution because of the bandwidth shift at F1.9

Anyway, I shall get to the bottom of this.

here they are.

Daniel
:O)

Fay

Gosh, you did well, Daniel. That Leo triplet is so interesting, all those lovely shapes in one image. Nice galaxy M81. Great Daniel, you are a marvel getting any images in your location, & good one's at that.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

That's pretty impressive stuff Daniel!  I especially like M81/M82, I will be interested to see what 20 minute sub frames could show...

I'm going to post 80 mins of subs on the Christmas Tree/Cone in Ha as a comparison - it's unfinished but will give you an idea of the differences.

Daniel

hehe, i'd love to try a 20 minute sub, although from where i al right now, the 2 minutes is my maximum before light polution takes over the image. that said, I bet it'd be possible in Tuesnoad so hopefully I'll be able to get the C14 down there next month.

I'd love to see what 80 mins on christmas tree would get you, I was quite reluctant to try it last night on account of that particular nebula being a git to image, all my other attempts at it were disasters.

Daniel
:O)

MarkS

Daniel, that's an excellent M81 & M82.  Both are faint, so it's very impressive to catch that much detail from a light polluted area.  That hyperstar is certainly producing impressive results!

Removing the gradient from your cone image will certainly not be easy but you definitely have good detail beginning to emerge.

Gradients caused by light pollution will always be a problem with a large field of view.  Narrowband is the way to go, from the results I've seen, as Robert's image of the cone demonstrates.

Mark

JohnP

Hi Daniel,

Nice collection - m81 looks great although, perhaps a tad over sharpened - looks like there are dark rings around the stars. Colours are great. I look forward to seeing the finished images.

John