• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

The Inevitable Copernicus

Started by MarkS, Jan 07, 2009, 06:34:20

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Yes, I know Copernicus has been done to death, but for me, I've never attempted it before.

Canon EOS 350D on Celestron C11.  Eyepiece projection using 15mm eyepiece.
Each sub was a 1 second exposure at ISO 100

The 8 best frames (out of 80) stacked in AviStack then subsequently deconvolved and resized.

Maybe adding more frames would bring out more detail - I don't know.  I've more more data for the surrounding area which I'll process later.

Mac

RobertM

Fay

Fantastic, Mark. Really nice
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Mark,

How can you do this to death, as you have said, it's the first time for you, and this is only one of hundreds to image, and as you are aware at certain stages, the light makes objects like craters look very different from one day to the next and even over a few hours.
I personally don't think you can 'do to death' any object in the heavens, as you will always be trying to get that better image, and may I say what an great image that is Mark.

Tony G

PS That was rather a sensible thread from me, no joke or innuendo's, must be the flu.
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Very nice indeed Mark. Lovely crisp detail and contrast. I don't care how many times i've seen images of this object they are always nice to look at and you always spot something you didn't notice before.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Daniel

Lovely image mark, really crisp, im suprised you managed such an amazing picture from eyepieve projection.
I have a 4x powermate you could borrow some time if you want, would be very interesting to see what you come up with without eyepiece projection.

Daniel
:O)

JohnP

Yep agree with all the comments - even Mr. 'call me sensible' G.... The image has a real 3D feel to it - looks really good - I assume you put your new program to good use... I have downloaded it but not a chance to play yet...

Cheers,  John

MarkS

Thanks for your comments.   I'm very pleasantly surprised by what can be achieved with eyepiece projection.  It still hasn't reached the diffraction limited resolution of the C11 (which is approx 0.5 arcsec) but it's certainly the closest I've come so far.  It was helped by the excellent seeing last night.

The image contains only the red channel - I've yet to add the blue and green channels (which are more blurry and hence require a different deconvolution).  When I do so, I'm hoping I can push the final resolution still further.  Yes John, it was done with my own software.

The 15mm eyepiece gave approximately 6x magnification i.e. approx F60 at an effective focal length of 17 metres! 

Tony G - you're absolutely right - moon craters can never be "done to death".  They're always different and interesting.

Mike

Mark what do you mean it is only the Red Channel? Did you not use your DSLR?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Yes, it was definitely my DSLR. 

The Bayer matrix has Red, Green & Blue pixels - I stripped out the red pixels from the raw data and created an image from those.  So if the DSLR has 3400x2400 pixels (approx) then the subsequent red channel has 1700x1200 pixels i.e. half as many in each direction.

Fay

Mark, it is weird how you look at it once & the middle is raised & then not. It is so clear, the detail is amazing. 

Whitters

And all the little craters and lumps 'n bumps around the crater rim. Fantastic!

Tony carefull now, you never know where lyrical waxing will take you.

MarkS

I've now processed the best 20 frames.  It has brought out just a tiny bit more detail and allows the image to be shown at a greater size.

Fay

Wonderful, Mark, so much fine detail!!!!!

Tony G

Mark,

Excellent image and well processed, I'm sure you can see footprints to the left of the crater.  :)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

you been sniffing thermite fumes again Mr.G?

They're clearly bicycle tracks.

Whitters