• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Trouble uploading to gallery...

Started by RobertM, Aug 18, 2008, 08:29:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hi Rick,  I had trouble uploading a jpg of about 2mb (also tried 600k).

I put the file name in and it says sucessful upload, clock continue select album, put in title desc and keywords, hit continue then it says :

Information
The previous file could not be placed.

You have successfully placed all the files. 

But it hasn't ???

Any ideas...

Rick

I'll have a burrow in the logs and so on. Do you know what time things went wrong? And what was the file name?

Rick

There are no errors recorded in the logs.

I'm guessing the files you had trouble with are the ones with names like "Group1-SDStack-DDPStretch.jpg" (at least two different versions, sized 2162488 and 2162504 bytes) and "orpupload.jpg" (size 667113 bytes)?

Rick

I can upload them to my home copy of the gallery system just fine, so I think PowWeb's use of an old version of ImageMagick is biting us again, one way or another. Last time it was the thumbnail it couldn't generate, but this time it's failing to produce the intermediate image. :(

RobertM

Thanks Rick, so does that mean that I won't be able to upload an image ever again ?

Rick

I tried converting from JFIF 1.02 to JFIF 1.01, but that didn't seem to do the trick. I'm trying to figure an alternative way round the problem...

Rick

When you save images pror to uploading them, what format options do you have?

Rick

It looks as if the ImageMagick version PowWeb have installed may be having trouble making the intermediate images if the input exceeds about 2100x2100 or therabouts. I was able to upload a version at 2048x1530 Ok.

RobertM

Hi Rick,  Yes the files were quite large jpegs - I could save in most formats such as tiff/bmp etc.

What would you recommend ?

Cheers
Robert

Mike

What else can we use? the idea of teh gallery is so that we can also uplaod the original files, including FITs, and DSLR RAW files,which coudl easily be up to around 25Mb or larger each.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Quote from: Mike on Aug 19, 2008, 13:04:04up to around 25Mb or larger each.

Data files (like FITS) are only limited by file size. They won't display as images anyway. Incidentally, your 25Mb figure above is the first time anyone's actually given me an actual indication of what sort of limit is useful. Actual numbers are good! Thanks. The current limit is 8MiB, but I will increase it appropriately. :)

Quote from: RobertM on Aug 19, 2008, 12:36:28
Yes the files were quite large jpegs - I could save in most formats such as tiff/bmp etc.

Having experimented a little, I don't think it's the actual format that's the issue, so stick with jpeg or png, as you prefer.

The problem is that the images need to have a thumbnail, and if they're over a certain size, an intermediate image as well. It's the generation of this intermediate image that's causing the trouble. I think (but can't yet prove) that's because PowWeb's using an old old version of ImageMagick which seems to have some in-built limit. I've not been able to find out exactly what the limit is, but I have established that it's under 4 million pixels (because 1999x1999 fails), somewhere between 2300x1718 (which works) and 2300x1793 (which doesn't), at least for Robert's greyscale image...

I've asked PowWeb when they plan to update ImageMagick. They've not yet answered.

Mike

Do we have to use ImageMagick?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

There are two options for making thumbnails and so on, GD and ImageMagick. GD is more limited than ImageMagick, particularly in the formats it supports. I know an updated version of ImageMagick would do what we're asking it to do, because I have it installed at home, and it does. All we have to do is get PowWeb to upgrade...  :roll:

(I could really use a flying-pig smiley sometimes...)

Mac

Mike

can't you install it manually?

Rick

Nope. It'd need administrator-level permissions to the server's system...

...and PowWeb's response says, more or less, "We'll tell you once we've done it, but don't hold your breath."

Oink! Flap! Oink! Flap!