• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Thread splitting

Started by Ian, Aug 11, 2008, 19:02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

you're determined to stop that DSC thread take the record aren't you, Rick... :D

Tony G

Listen 'ere

There is only one record .........................which will never be broken. :evil:

http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=2907.0

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Have the forum Police been at this thread too ?!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Quote from: Ian on Aug 11, 2008, 19:02:55
you're determined to stop that DSC thread take the record aren't you, Rick... :D

When topics branch sufficiently, threads will split, except in Chat, where almost*1 anything goes... ;)

*1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

MarkS

O.K. 
So if threads become similar enough, will they then combine?   
So can we then ensure the survival of the fittest (thread)?

doug

With all this chat about threads, I fell that someone is getting the needle  :lol:
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Aug 14, 2008, 00:08:28
O.K. 
So if threads become similar enough, will they then combine?   
So can we then ensure the survival of the fittest (thread)?

Good point. Logic would dictate from the rule that it should.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

I have occasionally merged threads before now, mostly in the From the Media section where it's easier to follow a developing story if the reports about it are grouped in one thread.

In the other main astronomy sections it makes sense to keep a thread for a particular subject, and to start a new one if there's a distinct change in subject. I split out the "What's AIP?" question because it has come up before, and it'll be easier to find the useful answers next time if it's in a thread by itself.

I generally figure a thread's a bit on the bloated side if it no longer has an "All" link for reading the whole thing on one page in the list of threads. Past that point it becomes increasingly tedious to go back through.

Generally, folk do the sensible thing anyway, keeping discussions informative and good-natured, so there's very little tidying up that needs doing.

I believe Ian has an oxy-acetylene torch for dealing with needles...