• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Does this website use daylight savings time ...

Started by RobertM, Jun 12, 2008, 09:12:48

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

The posts seem to be timestamped one hour earlier then they're posted !

Ian

looks like it :)

still, being astronomers we just think daylight saving is way of short-changing us out of observing time ;)

Edit: In your profile, there's an option to add a time offset. If you set this to +1 then the times will be shown correctly. However, this is a work around, I'll chat with Rick about sorting out the forum time. There's no way of getting the forum to consider daylight saving so it relies on the server time source to change accordingly. If it doesn't then it's not something we can deal with and we're stuck with the time being wrong for half the year...

RobertM

It could be that the nttp server needs a restart or the sa has been a bit lazy when setting up the box and failed to configure it properly. 

I know your work around should work for me but everyone will have to do the same otherwise we'll be in a right 2'n'8 ...  not a big deal but I just thought it needed to be reported.

Many thanks

Rick

The server farm is in the USA, and runs on whichever timezone they think is correct at the time. I suspect some servers in the farm are a little wayward, to boot...

Then the forum software has a setting somewhere to put things into the browser's expected location.

Then the user has a "Time Offset" that can be changed...

For the record, I'm posting this at 15:44 UTC

Rick

...and then there was a master "Overall time offset" in Admin space. For some reason it was set to "-1". I've no idea why. I've changed it to "0".

Of course it'll all go cock-eyed again when we go back an hour a few weeks before the USA...

RobertM

Tell me about it ... there always seems to be one important database server at work where it doesn't change when it's supposed to, all the trades get logged an hour ahead or behind and there's mayhem ...

So now whe have to remind you to change times twice a year ...  now how could we automate that ... ;)

Rick

Four times! Once when we go back. Then again when the USA goes back to straighten things out, and two more times when the USA and then we go forward again. Never had this trouble with sundials!

Ian

nope you're right. Rotate 15 degrees anti-clockwise in Spring, then back again in autumn. No worries.

Rick

...or, in the case of this one, give it a good hard shove!