• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Orange lights in the sky over Orpington

Started by Brian, Mar 26, 2008, 16:16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

You're welcome Brian. We'll keep looking for them, and try and find out what they are.

Just a side note regarding my comment regarding the word "idiotic". It appeared to be directed at members here, you included aircraft in your list and this was suggested here too. I believe the word "moronic" was aimed at such illuminating remarks as "Probably immigrants trying to get into the country in a home made hot air balloon made from a cows bladder." and "Flying pigs of course!" as posted on the News Shopper website. Context is everything.

Let us know if you see them again, particularly if you get a clearer look.

Carole

It was me who used the word moronic (see earlier posting), and I was referring to the real "idiots" who were commenting to the article in the newshopper.  It started off with a serious conversation and degenerated into ridiculous jokes.

Did any-one see the programme on channel 5 last night on UFOs in Wales in 1974?
During the programme they were showing people letting off chinese lanterns (after barbecues?) which floated into the sky with an orange glow.  I guess these could account for some sightings.

There was also a UFO expert on the programme who said that 85% of sightings can be explained by something logical, but there still remains the other 15% that is unexplained.  Having seen something myself that I can't explain I keep an open mind about these things. 

Interestingly that although some sightings are quite probably military planes, the Military themselves were involved in spotting and reporting a recent incident in Wales, they would have known if it was one of their own planes. 

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carolepope
Did any-one see the programme on channel 5 last night on UFOs in Wales in 1974?

I didn't see it but did it mention the earthquake lights?  I saw a program on it 15 years ago I think.  There is a worldwide correlation of weird balls of light in the sky with known fault lines - especially in the period leading up to an earthquake when there are huge stresses building up.  I seem to remember the program specifically mentioned weird bright lights being seen in the sky over the Welsh valleys and mountains in the weeks leading up to a major quake at the beginning of the 1900's - I can't find a reference for it now though.

Repeated sightings of weird bright balls in the UK in 2008? You've been warned!  :evil:

MarkS

Last night's (Tue 25 March 2009) Horizon program, "Why can't we predict Earthquakes", mentioned some research being done into rocks which under severe stress generate electrical current.  The researcher believes these huge currents are linked to the weird lights often seen in the sky before an earthquake.

The Thing

I remember the program about earthquake lights. It was a weird but plausible as an explanation.