• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello Astronomers!!!

Started by spacenickoy, Nov 21, 2007, 16:41:03

Previous topic - Next topic

spacenickoy

Hello people of the forum,

I have a couple of questions and replies would be extremely helpful.

I've just discovered you as my most local group through the bbc website, (I live in Bromley) ((well hayes))
and am really interested in coming to a couple of meetings as a keen amateur astronomer.

My Background is as follows-
I am 19, so a youthful touch but need some help from the 'wisdomous' amongst you. I check space updates daily from space.com, live and breath that vast dark sea and purchased an 8" dob in April of this year.

However, I skipped one first class bit of advise before buying and that was to attend an astronomy club before so to guage what scope would suit me and get night sky advice. A couple of problems I have, go as far as collimation and lack of constellation knowledge which is a bit of a bitch and leaves me needing a compass and checking hour by hour sky updates on heavens above.com to find anything.

I just wanted to know how your meetings work, are they split into several divisons that allow for interaction with each other during, or is it mainly 1 person talking the whole time? I am really interested in meeting others who share the passion, I am trying to get a few of my friends interested but most of the stuff I say falls on deaths ears. Also will my age pose a problem and are you a friendly bunch?

look forward to hearing from you

your humble fabulist,

Nick

Mike

Nick,

Welcome to the forum !!  :)

Yes, we are a very friendly bunch and I think I can say this on behalf of some of our memebrs who have joined other clubs in the past, probably the friendliest club in the South East. I think the main reason we are so highly regarded is that there is no snobbishness about what you know or don't know, what kit you have or don't, etc. Everyone is keen to help other people and share their knowledge and experience. We are very actively involved in educating people about astronomy in a relaxed and fun atmosphere.

We have a monthly meeting on the 4th Thursday of the month. This usually consists of a bit of time for a chat, followed by a brief introduction by the Chairman with society and space news, etc. followed by a coffee break where people can mingle and discuss whatever they like. After that we have the main speaker or speakers if there is more than one talk. After that there is another chance for a chat whilst clearing teh chairs, etc. away and we usually depart off to the Bulls Head Pub for a drink or two and even more chatting after that.

We also have an observing session every month, sometimes two. And every month or so there is the imaging sessions at my house, which are extremely sociable.

The society is very active with a large number of the membership having their own scopes and an ever increasing number of members getting into astrophotography too. At our last Deep SKy Camp we counted a total of 19 telescopes all set up for observing and imaging one night.

We hold Deep Sky Camps down at Tuesnoad 3 or 4 times a year which is an entire weekend of astronomy and other sillyness as well as regular events throughout the year. Our next one is weekend of 7th to 10th Dec and you are welcome to pop along to all of the weekend or one day if you like. Non-members are welcome to our external events.

No prior knowledge or equipment is needed. Though, your 8" DOB will prove very useful to you and a DOB is an excellent piece of kit for observing, especially for beginners as they are so easy to use.

The members in the society have lots of different types of kit from the very cheap to eye-wateringly expensive and a lot of it comes out to play at the observing sessions, imaging sessions and Deep Sky Camp. You will therefore have plenty of opportunity to take a look through all kinds of different kit and gauge what future equipment you may wish to purchase that would be suitable for your needs.

You are more than welcome to come along to a handful of the meetings, observing and imaging sessions before you decide if you want to join. Why not pop along to the meeting tomorrow and introduce yourself? If you ask for me (Mike) I will introduce you to people and give you more info. I am sure you won't regret it. We will also be happy to advice you on collimation or even do it for you. There are many members experienced in collimating scopes and the society has a 12" Lightbridge DOB itself for members use.

As for learning the sky, if you have a PC download Stellarium and/or Cart Du Ciel. Both are freeware planetarium software and are excellent for learning the sky. I find if you turn off the labels and constellation stick figures so you just have a natural looking sky (particularly good with Stellarium) and then use that coupled with a star chart in your hand, this is a great way to learn the sky and of course can be done even when cloudy !!  :)

And no, your age will not be a problem at all. In fact, we are trying to get more younger people involved. Actually, I think there are a number of members that are even younger than you!

Look forward to meeting you,

Mike
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Dear Nick,

I ditto what Mike has said.  Look forward to meeting you.

Carole

Ian

Hello mate.

I hope that our perennially juvenile banter here would answer at least one of your points. We are inclusive to a fault, just take a look ;)

However, as a general rule we do know our stuff, we've got some *seriously* smart people doing all sorts of good astronomy (not me, I pretend...)

We're not big enough for divisions, but there is a vociferous imaging "section" that tends to dominate here, but our meeting generally have one speaker. We try to get as eclectic a mix as possible, but that does mean that not all meetings will float your boat (unless you're really not picky). I personally like it that way, sometimes we get professors really stretching us, other times it's the astronomical equivalent of watching Doc Martin.

We are active observers, with observing meetings and deep sky camps. Much silliness occurs at DSC, but we do astronomy too. Although we have been known to succumb to the temptation to play rugby or write obscene words on trees at 1am, the astronomy comes first.

I'm bound to say, come along. We're not far, Red Hill School in Chislehurst, suck it and see.

Do you really create fables? (I like online dictionaries...)

Ian

Of course, this took so long that Mike and Carole got there first...

Rick

Hi Nick. Welcome to our forums.

Tony G

Welcome Nick,

And as you see everything has been said, except its nice to have another 'Youngster' besides myself interested in astronomy in this area,
so hopefully we'll see you tomorrow at Red Hill.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

good point Tony, although I hope that Nick's life hasn't been quite as hard on his looks as yours has clearly been...

spacenickoy

Quote from: Ian on Nov 21, 2007, 23:56:13
good point Tony, although I hope that Nick's life hasn't been quite as hard on his looks as yours has clearly been...

hahaaaa

thank you all for your kind words & to Tony I will reserve judgment on your features until first viewing.

I didn't realise the meeting was so soon, well today in fact. I will do my best, I've just been on the multimap link and already know that I am going to have trouble finding this place. My road navigation is pretty much on par with my constellation knowledge and I have been lost & found in Chislehurst many times!

Does anyone know what topics are being covered tonight? so I am prepared for the onslaught of information. Also DSC sounds like something I would definately enjoy, I have yet to try writing obscene things on trees, but I've definately got some ideas as far as that goes.

Special thanks to Mike & Ian, although you are all a lovely welcoming bunch, for the detailed description and backdrop to what these meetings entail, I will download that sky map programme when I get home.

I'd like to give something back http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread314793/pg1

the above is a link from a post on ATS that links to a series that was shown on The History Channel I believe called the Universe. It is amazing and would definately recommend watching it, especially the most dangerous places in the universe episode was particularly interesting, its also very good quality as its played on the div x video format which you may have to download. It is worth it!

1 last thing, what time does the meeting start tonight and where exactly do you meet as I'm guessing this school doesnt just have 1 room?

Thanks very much
Nickoy.

Ian- I can create Fables in your mind!  :lol:

Ian

the school only has one room big enough for us all... Just come into the car park, walk up the path along the left hand side of the building (we don't use the front entrance) and the school hall will be in front of you. There is a doorway towards the right-hand end, the path will take you to it. The lights should be on, but if not it might just be because we're having a slideshow. Or a sleep. Depends on the clarity of the skies.

spacenickoy

Thanks Ian, very helpful!

and what time do the events usually begin?

Mike

It kicks off at 19.30, but it's usually not until 20:00 before it really gets underway. You are welcome to turn up at any time though, i've turned up late myself a few times.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

you might get roped in to making tea if you're there much before 19:30...

spacenickoy

Dear God! I think I'll shadow in fashionably late after that cliffhanger. Dont get me wrong, I can make a cuppa but have been criticised for me tea bag to milk proccess in the past and that experience has left me truly haunted. More to the point I doubt I'll be there at 7.30 anyway as I am certain I am going to struggle to find the wholesome venue, but we will see. What is the topic for tonight does anyone know?

Mike

Apparently it is "Sids, Pings and Whispers" by Allan Bell.

Yep, i'm none the wiser as well !   :o

Do what I do - Sit at the back out of the way and if the talk is boring you can have a nice sleep and wake up in time to clap at the end, then off to the pub.

spacenickoy

haha. I actually did a search for 'Sids, Pings and Whispers' on google yesterday thinking it must have something to do with astronomy or maybe some kind of new theory. It seems google has no idea what this means either!

I like the sit at the back option, i think maybe a hip flask filled with some magical liquid might be in order as well!