• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

What have I done !

Started by mickw, Jul 22, 2007, 16:41:27

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Hi all,
I've recently resurrected my interest in astronomy, third time lucky - impatience and ignorance RULES !
Er, hopefully that will change. :-?
I have just bought an ETX125PE which I hope wil help to educate me and also give good viewing.
Unfortunately, with the recent weather I've been blighted with a load of boring clouds to look at.  Also, due to the lack of knowledge, I haven't got a clue what I'm looking at, and am having trouble setting up the scope.
Having said that, I did check out a bright star to the South - Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was Jupiter and 4 Moons !
(See, I told you I didn't have a clue)
As you can see, I am in need of help (or a slap) and would like to join OAS,  a couple of visits to your meetings would at least be a step in the right direction.
Cheers,
Mick

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

You're welcome to come to a couple of meetings as a guest. The next one's on Thursday, at Red Hill School, Chislehurst. Gates open about 7:30pm. (Details, as usual, on our main website, http://www.orpington-astronomy.org.uk ) See you there?

P.S. You should now be able to post in the other discussion boards.

Tony G

Welcome Mick,

As Rick has said, there is a meeting Thursday and its a members evening, so you'll see what some of the members do and you'll have a good chance to have a chat with a few as well.

Hope to see you on Thursday, good luck.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Great,
I'll see you Thursday and thanks,
Mick

Mike

Mick,

Were you there at all? I would have come and say hello if I knew you were.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Yes Mike,
Arrived early and chatted with Doug, Rose and Fay plus others whos names escape me.
I was very impressed with the presentations, I learned quite a lot and hopefully will retain some of it,  Chris and Tony are entertaining speakers (hope I got their names right).
I was even motivated to get the scope out when I got home, despite some alignment glitches there is light (or darkness) at the end of the tunnel.
I will be back and I will make myself known,  perhaps at High Elms if that's OK.
Thanks for a great evening,
Mick

Mike

Look forward to seeing you at the observing session. Keep a look out on teh forum for the date of the next Imaging Session too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Next one is Friday 24th Aug at 8pm if you are interested. We are doing a workshop on Imaging the Moon and then outside to do some astrophotography, weather permitting. If it is cloudy we stay inside, drink tea, coffee, beer or wine and talk a load of nonsense.

Carole

I have an ETX125EC but did exchange it for a while to the PE version but could not get on that well with the red dot so exchanged it back again.  Thank goodness for Telescope House's patience and tolerance.  However being familiar with the ETX125 I would gladly give some advice if you need any help.  I am not into imaging as yet though, but could help with alignment, operating and GO TO if you are having any problems with those things.

I am on holiday from 11th - 18th (going to COAA with the OAS group), but should be back for the next meeting.  Ask Fay to point me out if you want to talk to me.  Also I am planning to go to the DSC in September if you are going there.

Carole

mickw

Thanks for the offer Carole, I think a lot of my problems are down to not reading instuctions properly and other stupid mistakes.
I'll seek you out at the next meeting but hopefully I'll have things sorted by then  :(
I'm not into imaging yet either, but am getting tempted.  Unfortunately you need to find an object before you can image it.
Enjoy COAA,
Mick

Mike

Mick - The imaging sessions are a good opportunity to talk with other people who have similar equipment and to witness how imaging is done (weather permitting). Most of the time they are more of a social event than anything with people chatting about all kinds of things, not necessarily astronomical. But they are a good chance to chat with other amateur astronomers in a relaxed and informal setting and to ask as many questions as you like. It's up to you, but you are more than welcome.