• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cookie problems (not being able to log in)

Started by Rick, Jan 26, 2003, 19:32:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

The latest versions of Internet Explorer and Netscape have rather more twiddly bits when it comes to controlling cookies.

You'll need to accept cookies from 212.104.156.50 and you may also need to accept cross-site cookies from http://www.orpington-astronomy.org.uk and/or http://www.chocky.demon.co.uk.

One thing that could make a difference is opening the forum in a new window all by itself. That should at least avoid the cross-site cookie restrictions.

Ian

yes, if you open the forum from the link on the website the cookies are different to going direct via the IP address. I doubt that many people do however, but it is worth mentioning.

Anonymous

THANKS for the advice in the previous message.  I  bookmarked the forum and then tried again without going through the main Orpington website.  Am now successfully logged in!  Phew!  I thought I was going to have to resurrect my old slow computer!

Incidently windows XP didn't allow me to enable cookies for the forum.

Anonymous

Ooops!   It says I am logged in!
Delphine

Ian

hmm, your browser is setting up lots connections, and you can only be logged in on one. If I can work out why you are setting up these sessions I'll let you know. As you navigate through the forum, does the browser open lots of extra windows?

Anonymous

Hi

Sorry I haven't replied before but my phoneline has been down for a couple of days!!  I am beginning to hate technology!!

To answer your question - no my browser isn't opening lots of windows. [as far as I know] However the main Orpington website is behind the forum one.

I have resusitated my old computer so will use that for this forum in future - as I don't want to create a lot of hassle for you.

Cheers Delphine

Mike

Delphine, when trying to access the Forum, do you get a picture of an eye in the bottom right with a red stop sign over it ? If so, click on it and you will see an IP address (list of 4 numbers seperated by a dot) and the words phpBB at the end. Then, right click on these and select 'always accept cookies from this site'. Try that !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Anonymous

No I don't see an eye in the right hand corner so can't use that.

Am trying again but by the chocky-demon route.  Here goes!

Anonymous

*****!!!!! :roll:

Oh well I will have to use my old computer after all.

I am a bit worried that my browser is creating lots of windows.  I am going to try and figure that out.

Cheers Delphine

Ian

Sorry, there is a difference between windows and sessions. Leave it with me, I'll have a play with IE and XP and see if I can work out a fix. Don't give up!

Delphine

I did look at the settings in my browser but didn't really know what I was looking for.  So will leave it to you as you suggest.  Many thanks and sorry about this.  
Cheers Delphine

Delphine

Oh!!!  :lol:

I usually use AOL for my internet surfing but used internet explorer last time and that seems to have solved the problem.

[ This Message was edited by: Delphine on 2003-02-01 15:51 ]

Delphine

Hello again

Everything seems to be OK with logging in now, whichever direction I approach from.  Many thanks Ian if it is due to your twiddling about with XP etc.
:grin:

Ian

well I'd like to take credit, but it's probably the engineer effect. If someone reports a problem to me, if I stand next to them while they try to replicate it, it doesn't happen.
Get many satisfied customers that way. :smile:

Rick

Hmmm... Wouldn't like to come and scare my new microwave into working, would you? It worked fine while the engineer who'd installed it was there, but yesterday evening it managed to heat one mug of water from cold to tepid, and hasn't worked since...

Well, it sort of pretends, turns lights on, hums, beeps, and so on, but the turntable and the microwaves don't...

Oh, it's a Botch (err... "Bosch") if you want to know what not to buy.

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2003-02-06 10:37 ]