• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

First Light with new toys

Started by Mike, Jul 29, 2005, 11:27:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Ok here are some images I did last night. They aren't very good, but i'm pleased for a first attempt.

I spent about 2.5 hours outside last night. It took about 1.5 hours just to get the damned thing aligned and to goto objects. Worked it out in the end.

Anyway, by the time I got to image there were small whispy clouds starting to drift across so I had to be quick.

I took loads of images, mostly they were crap. But here are two that came out quite well.

These two images are raw frames, binned 2x2. No processing or stacking has been done whatsoever and no filters, dark frames, etc. were used. All I have done is convert the FITS to JPG.

The first is M52 in Cassiopea. I think it was 10 seconds.

The second is the core of M31 at 30 seconds. I am pleased that the dust lanes can be seen. M110 is just in frame at the top.

The stars are a bit bloated. But they haven't been processed. I'm quite chuffed for a first ever attempt at DSO's. Now I see what Chris meant when he said "What a learning curve!"
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

nice wide fields. Looking forward to some more mate.

Mike

Thanks. Here is a processed M31 made from a stack of 10x20s. I've just fiddled with the histogram to bring out the detail in the dust lanes.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Nice images Mike. What scope did you use?

Mike

The only one I have at the moment - Its the Skywatcher ED80 - 3.5inch refractor. The Vixen is on its way over sea from Japan so won't be here for a few more weeks.

Rocket Pooch

well done mike the m31 stack is good for the duration of exposure, the dust lanes are there, looks good, the raws loot a little square it might be the binning which is causing it and you can post process this out.  but very good.

how was the goto, easy like the mead or more difficult?

Mike

The GoTo is very similar to the Meade. It is very good, last night I had a 4 hour session outside and the GoTo went to every object and put it in the CCD frame first time.

Ignore all of the above images. I realised I made a mistake on the settings which is why they seem to have a lot of noise. I have done some more which I will post up once they are processed.