• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pelican with HX916

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jul 10, 2005, 10:55:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Had to give the camera a go, oh what a learning curve.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Whitters

Mike

Why do you say "Oh what a learning curve" Chris ?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

well the reason for saying this is because the camera is dead easy to use, but when I was using it there was the following problem, the fits file saved created black dots in the stars, so when I was taking this image I kept reducing the exposure duration to ensure the black dots were minimum hence the one minute images rather than the 3x3 binned 2 minute images I was doing before where each frame was as good as this stack.  So I decided just to get anything I went 2x2 and kept the exposure to 1min and got this.  where the actual 3x3 binned images all the stars where black because the processing software I used did not support floating point iopperation on the fits and therefore any levels over 32774 we're negative and pants.  eve thought at the binning the levels went well depth went upto 120,000 and I think this was approx 64,000 levels in the FITS etc etc etc.

Anyway I know what a) the problem is now b) how to cure it.

hence the curve.

Mike

Aaahh, what software are you using ? Is it AIP4WIN ?

Rocket Pooch

yes and version 2 does now support the new fits formats, which should be dispatched soon, their shipping it in mid July,err now hopefully.

FITX and Stella Magic are ok and also AstroArt, but I like AIP its very easy :smile: