• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC 6914 in Cygnus

Started by The Thing, Jun 10, 2024, 14:07:10

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

This is sort of dark nebula/light blue nebula in the middle. The FoV is 4x3 degrees. The colour is down to the filter used, an old 2007 Revelation IR filter that I'd grabbed for testing purposes. This has meant no Ha made it to the camera  :{.

This is 60 x120s subs on an unguided ZWO AM3 mount polar aligned using PHD2 Polar Drift alignment which is so easy to do accurately it's amazing. Subs were captured using a Raspberry Pi 5 mini-computer using Indigo drivers and AIN imager program.

Click for full size version...

Carole

This is a lovely area rich in Ha, just wondering why you put the IR filter on the camera. Some weirds circles around the larger stars.

Interesting mount, is this your travel gear?  Good for unguided

The Thing

Ta.Yes it's my travel gear, getting it sorted for action. Very nice little but powerful mount. Very smooth and almost no backlash, some periodic error but not an issue at 275mm fl.

Dodgyness is all down to the ancient Revelation filter, should bin it really. Its.1.25" and normally goes on a guidecam.

Carole

To be honest you could do without that filter and a bit of star reduction.  I am not saying go to the extemes that many are doing now, but just a little reduction so the stars are not so overwhelming,

The Thing

Quote from: Carole on Jun 12, 2024, 14:26:07To be honest you could do without that filter and a bit of star reduction.  I am not saying go to the extemes that many are doing now, but just a little reduction so the stars are not so overwhelming,

You should have seen it before star reduction!

Carole

JohnDeathridge

Love the colours and the atmospheric view

The Thing