• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.2 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Vega Spectroscopy

Started by ApophisAstros, May 28, 2022, 10:29:02

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

Ok bare with. This is Vega and the circle is the intensity of the star. The blue graph overlaying the spectrum is real scientific data(Vega is an A0V star marked in the reference box) to check calibration. The three light blue horizontal lines mark dips in the real data which show where the absorption lines should be and they match up with the light blue dots showing the dips in my data.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RobertM

Interesting that you used Vega as it is generally taken as a reference star for spectroscopy due to its colour and emissions spectrum.  I used it as part of my spectroscopy project for the OU a number of years ago.  If you want to calibrate your spectrograph then I used a He-Ar hollow cathode lamp - I've no idea if these are expensive though.

Robert

Mac

If you want to calibrate your spectrograph very cheaply, then use single colour led's, they are pence and you can order one of each and you have a full spectrum.

Mac.

Carole

Roger, I have put this into the July Members images presentation.  It's not really an image, but was taken with a camera, and as you may be presenting the July images in my absence, I thought it would be better for you to explain what it is all about.

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: RobertM on May 30, 2022, 09:01:44Interesting that you used Vega as it is generally taken as a reference star for spectroscopy due to its colour and emissions spectrum.  I used it as part of my spectroscopy project for the OU a number of years ago.  If you want to calibrate your spectrograph then I used a He-Ar hollow cathode lamp - I've no idea if these are expensive though.

Robert

It was calibrated in Rpec hence the graph is anstroms , i am quite new to Spectroscopy so what further calibration is it you mean?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RobertM

Ok so you've use Vega itself (as a star who's spectrum is already know) as the calibrator which is fine and much cheaper than other methods.  The software I used didn't have any enhancements and was quite crude.

It would be interesting to see if you can resolve any Doppler shift in other objects.  My project didn't cover that but I always thought it would be interesting to try.

Robert