• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Introduction

Started by Dave A, Dec 28, 2022, 20:08:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave A

Hi Everyone

I am an OAS member, attend the meetings and use the OAS Whats APP regularly.  I have only been on the forum a couple of times in the past but aim to start looking and participating on the Forum more regularly

I have been an OAS member for 18 months only but have been interested in Astronomy for many years, I have been observing mainly from my back garden using a Sky Watcher goto 127  Maksutov Cassegrain reflector telescope and my Olympus 10x50 Binoculars

I am also going to have a go at Astrophotography but have a lot to learn still !! I live in Orpington so not great for observing- Bortle 7 area.

I currently still work as a Health and Safety Manager for a large construction company, but I am looking to retire next year sometime which will then give me lots more time for Astronomy and observing.

Best Wishes

Dave Allen

Carole

Welcome Dave.  I live in Bromley, even worse than Orpington.  With LP filters etc much can be achieved.   

Be nice to have another imager in the offing.

Carole

AndrewRamsay

Dave -

Your belated Introduction is much appreciated.  While there is a lot to learn about astrophotography, I can vouch for the fun I am having in solving the mutiple problems involved (including persuading my wife from time to time that my latest addition to the kit is a worthwhile investment).  I can also vouch for the quality of advice available - in particular Carole is a great asset to the Club and has certainly given me a lot of useful help. 

I have found astrophotography is an antidote to the disappointment of living under high Bortle skies. While it is barely possible to make out the major constellations with the naked eye, astrophotography has the potential to cut through the pollution and reveal the beauty of the cosmos.

It will also be great to have another member joining me on the nursery slopes of this amazing branch of astronomy.

Best wishes

- Andrew

Carole

Thanks for your comments Andrew.  I am certainly happy to help beginners, but if you want technical advice you really need advice from Roberto.   

Carole

Dave A

Andrew

Many thanks

I will certainly reach out to Carole and Roberto for advice on imaging.  I am very interested in imaging the planets in the Solar system and the Moon and perhaps then go onto Galaxies and Nebula later.  I have a lot to learn- but as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day !!

Best Wishes

Dave

Roberto

Welcome Dave!  You are right to start with the planets and bright objects.  Planetary season is almost over but next year looks better than this one with the larger planets getting higher and higher for us in the northern hemisphere after years of horizon grazing.  Perhaps you attended the talk Carole and I gave at the November meeting?  There were some slides on planetary imaging.  We can talk at the next one later this month in any case.

Roberto

Dave A

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for your comments

I did attend the November imaging talk by you and Carole, albeit by Zoom however as could not get there in time.
Carole did send me the slides

Be great to talk with you further at the January OAS meeting

Best wishes

Dave