• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Antares Region from Spain and from East Sussex

Started by Carole, Apr 05, 2022, 12:22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Been struggling with this target since 2017 when I went to Spain with an Ioptron Sky Tracker and a DSLR and camera lens.  I got some data but have never been satisfield with the star shapes.
I went to Spain again in 2019 this time using my CCd camera to get lumimance again with the Skytracker and cheap camera lenses.  The star shapes were not nice giving coma in the stars themselves. 

Now I have a Samyang 135mm lens I decided i would like to try to get some better luminance, but not planning a trip to Spain again.  So I attempted to get some data from Cairds DSC last weekend, this time using a proper tracking mount and could do 600sec exposures, but it didn't rise until 1.30am and took a while to lift itself out of the murk.  So I only ended up with 8 usable Luminance subs.

I would still love to be able to do this target justice, but I think unless I moved abroad or used data from a remote observatory which is not for me as I like to do the whole job myself, I think I have to accept the limitations of what i am able to achieve.  The stars are better than before, though still not brilliant. 

4 hours DSLR in Spain, and I only used the Luminance taken last weekend, and the FOV chopped off half of Rho Orphiucci, so looks like I will still need another go at some stage.

8 x 600 luminance 1 hour 20mins
So total of 5hours 20mins.

AndrewRamsay

I think you do yourself an injustice.  The image is dazzling - the variety of colours in the reflection nebulae makes it really memorable.   

Carole

Thanks Andrew, yes it is a really colourful area which is why I was desperate to do it. 

I think imagers do tend to be a bit critical especially of themselves as we know the things that other imagers look for.  I guess I am being particularly hard on myself as I see this region done by people from all over the world, who are better located and have copious dark skies.  Then I expect to try to match their standards. 

Not a bad thing to be self critical though as it makes you strive to improve and in this case I am so glad I made the effort when I compare it to my previous results. 

Carole

AndrewRamsay

These days I see the Hubble images and I think game over.  Currently it's the best place to do imaging, but a bit difficult to get to.   That's why I tend to check with our own Gallery, where I am reassured that my pics are not so bad.  But you people on the Forum - wow!

garrick

Beautiful image Carole. Dynamic colour range is fabulous. Like the details in the dark nebulae. Nicely processed.

Clear Skies,

GW

Carole

Thank you Garrick.  This has been a labour of love. 

Carole