• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New travel scope

Started by ChrisR, Mar 03, 2022, 10:17:57

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisR

I saw a thread on SGL and picked one of these up from Amazon warehouse for £68. It has a 48mm male thread so a 2" to 1.25" eyepiece holder screws straight on and I can then use those eyepieces rather than the supplied one.

Carole

Are you planning to use this for Astronomy at Cairds?

Carole

ChrisR

Quote from: Carole on Mar 03, 2022, 13:00:03
Are you planning to use this for Astronomy at Cairds?

Carole

No, I'll take the full rig for that, this is something for taking on holiday and probably to Otford.

Carole

Sorry this is so huge, we don;t have a thumbs up Emoji

RobertM

Looks like a 'bargain'  hope optical performance is good - it is SVBony but for £68 there's nothing much to loose.

Carole.  Most of the Emojis are for when things go wrong, as you well know, things don't go right very often  :boom:

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Mar 03, 2022, 15:31:05
Sorry this is so huge, we don;t have a thumbs up Emoji

A bit more subdued than carole`s over the top one.. LOL
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Mac

👍
Smallest one i could find

ApophisAstros

I found a smaller one ,  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

ChrisR

Finally had the chance to try it out at Otford. Obvious it had a problem straight away, stars had flares upwards. Took a look at Sirius out of focus and it looked more like the rotor of a wankel engine than a disc.

Already processed the return with Amazon. I'll keep my eye out for a small sct maybe. I like the idea of having a tiny grab and go telescope. The camera tripod with a fluid head was stable enough and meant the telescope would just stay where it was pointed without having to lock the head up.

Mac

QuoteI like the idea of having a tiny grab and go telescope.

A good idea, but have a look at a decent pair of binoculars as your goto grab.

I have a very nice pair of 8*56 by steiner,
I did have the celestron 15 * 70 but they were Junk. the eye piece mount was so flexible you just couldn't focus them.
As soon as you eye touched the eyepiece it would change the focus as it flexed.

Mac.

Carole

Maybe you'll see something tomorrow Paul at the Astro Show.
You can see and examine stuff there and get advice.

Carole