• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Andromedids outburst 2021 November 27-28

Started by Rick, Dec 02, 2021, 10:42:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

A late burst of Andromedids was recorded by GMN cameras, and reported in Meteor News.

My GMN camera captured 11 Andromedids, 5 November Orionids, 4 Geminids, 2 November i Draconids and 51 sporadics on the night of 27th/28th November.

Gallery link

When the radiant is close to or within the field of view the meteors are coming towards the camera, so the trails can be quite short and that makes determining the radiant trickier, so the high sporadic count may include meteors from known showers whose trails are too short for certainty.

Rick

Incidentally, one of the brightest ones my camera caught only half of (the bright trail in the lower left of the image) was caught by seven other cameras, and orbital analysis showed it to be a Northern Taurid. See https://archive.ukmeteors.co.uk/reports/2021/orbits/202111/20211127/20211127_232109.997_UK/index.html

In all, 57 of the meteors in this image were matched with ones caught by at least one other camera, and of the meteors for which orbits could be determined, 5 were Andromedids, 4 were December alpha Draconids, 4 were Southern chi Orionids, 3 were Southern Taurids, 3 were November Orionids, 2 were Northern Taurids, 2 were Northern chi Orionids, and one came from each of the Orionids, December Canis Minorids, December Northern delta Arietids, 50 Cancrids, sigma Hydrids and tau Taurids. (This shows there's some uncertainty in the preliminary shower determinations.) 28 of the matched meteors were sporadics.

The other really bright meteor (in the middle, just below centre, heading down) was the December Northern delta Arietid. See https://archive.ukmeteors.co.uk/reports/2021/orbits/202111/20211128/20211128_024406.897_UK/index.html