• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC7000 HAlphaRGB with (I think) better stars.

Started by JohnH, Nov 08, 2021, 13:34:50

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnH

This is my best effort at a re-process.

I used Subframe Selector which allowed me to use:

Ha - 6 x 460 secs
R  - 43 x 60 secs
G  - 51 x 60 secs
B  - 26 x 60 secs

Because of poor overlap I was only able to use the Ha in Luminance and could not add them to the R channel.

My cunning plan was to use StarNet++ to help create a star mask and a luminance mask and to combine them so that, in various combinations, I could attack the nebula, stars and background separately. I then used morphological Transform to try to reduce the size of the stars.

I have to say that I had not appreciated how many stars would appear in frame (something over 6000) and I have always found them a problem when processing. I hope that masks are the way forward.

I have been using a belt and braces approach with a dew shield as well as a dew band.

This was my set up for the RGB frames:

When (if) HomeObservatory builds my observatory I can tidy up the wires etc.

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Carole

Looks like some good kit there.  Yes tidying up wiring is not so easy when you have to set up and down all the time.

I too hope Home Observatories get to you soon, but judging from that thread on Stargazers lounge the bloke that took them to court still did not invoke any response from them even after he won the case, I think the Bailiffs are going in now. 

It's not as if he doesn't have a good business and produce a good product, but his customer service is appalling.  I think they lost a member of staff who died who used to handle all that stuff.   

The main reason the SGL member took them to Court was because of the long delay and lack of response and the chap wanted his deposit back but got no response from that either. 

Home Observatories now have to refund his deposit plus Court plus Bailiffs costs.  It's a sad state of affairs when your customer service is that bad.  Only redeeming feature is when he actually gets around to your Observatory build, I hear it is first rate. 

Image looks nice until you zoom in, the stars still look iffy.  Need to take your data with you when you have that processing session with Roberto.

Carole

JohnH

Thanks Carole,

I am deciding how long to give Home Observatory before I take drastic action - it is very frustrating.

I am hoping that a thorough re-collimation is going to assist star quality. I am at the bottom of a very steep learning curve and just trying to pick up ideas and techniques as I go.

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

GeorgeC

Hi John

Would you be able to annotate your equipment picture for a TOAST article. I, for one, would be interested to know what all the boxes are for? The next TOAST is going out at the end of this month, but I would be happy to include it in next quarter's edition.

George