• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

ASIAir Pro for control.

Started by Mac, Oct 26, 2021, 14:37:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Hi JohnH and anyone else with ideas....

Rather than Hijack another post, ill start one here

I'm looking at upgrading all of my stuff, over the coming year or so, ALL of it is so out of date now, nearly all of the software and hardware, is at least 10-15 years old probably older,
all running on a totally stripped down XP on a laptop, (its your old one Carole, still as fast as anything, especially as i have removed  EVERYTHING that is NEVER EVER needed..)
it still works though.......

Just a ball ache to set up with everything and you have to connect everything in the correct order, wires, wires, wires, It was much easier when I had my dome.....

Anyway.

I see you are using the ASIAir Pro for control.

I've got a few questions.

I've had a look at the web site.
Does this do everything?

Looking at your log report.....

it appears as its a dedicated Astro computer with built in guiding, plate solve, polar alignment, imaging, ect, ect.

Is this the case?
Do you use it as a completely stand alone,
by that i mean is everything done by that unit,
i realise you have to control it via the software from another device,

where as i have to use about 30 different pieces of software, filter wheel control, polar align, DSLR camera control, SX Camera control. Guiding software, Imaging software, Mount control, plate solve software and a few i cant remember the names of..... ect ect

I've had a look at their compatibility list and my DSLR is compatible, as is i think both my astro cameras (if not it might be time for a new shiny  :cheesy: ).

What are your views, thoughts ect. and any one else for that matter........

Cheers

Mac.

Mac

Sorry Rick, an you move this to technical, was in the wrong forum..
Cheers
Mac.

JohnH

Hi Mac,

I do like the ASIAir pro, it is simple to use - in a way, that could be its biggest drawback.

It is designed specifically for ZWO products, ie camera, Filter wheel and focuser although I think it can also be used with DSLRs. This suits me but probably not most people. I have an ASI1600MM Pro for imaging, a ZWO 5 filter wheel and a ZWO electronic focuser (this limited my choice of 'scope as not all manual focusers can be easily adapted). I also have an ASI120 Mini to guide.

The ASIAir works with a wide range of mounts. It provides guiding via a version of PHD and also has a simple Polar Alignment routine.

A number of imaging targets are built in and you can add custom targets, it also integrates with Sky Safari to help frame non included objects. Once you have chosen a target you can just point the telescope to an arbitrary bit of sky, Plate Solve (very quick), sync and the mount will then point at your target with good accuracy.

It is now possible to either plan a multi target, multi filter target session and, I believe, mosaic plans can be imported from appropriate sources. I manually start guiding calibration as I don't know if the plan will do this and then let it go, it autofocus on filter change and also preset temperature changes. Alternatively, you can point the telescope yourself and create "Autoruun" sequences. These can be tagged to distinguish Light, Flat, Dark and Bias subs. Again, the unit can autofocus on each filter change.

However, there are limits to parameters which can be changed. On the camera you can set Temperature, exposure, number of exposures, Gain and Bin. You can then specify your filter. (For flats there is an autoexposure function).

Usefully, there are four 5v power outlets which can be software controlled. I have these connected to dew bands (voltage controllable), camera cooling and focuser (not voltage controlled). This reduces the number of cables trailing off the telescope.

The metal case does (I think) reduce WiFi signal strength. I hook a network cable to a WiFi range extender to link to my home network. This works well and is fast. On the topic of WiFi, if you are in the middle of a field the ASIAir has its own hotspot (obviously, you are not then connected to the interweb). At home you can join your own network which is then connectable to the interweb. Plate Solving is internal and does not need a connection.

Images, logs etc are stored on a USB stick for transfer.

So, yes it is a one stop shop as long as your equipment is compatible.

A fairly inexpensive alternative is the Stellarmate (https://www.stellarmate.com). You can buy the physical unit with software loaded or a Raspberry Pi and then purchase the software to flash to a micro SD card. This can be controlled by an app (Android and iOS like the ASIAir) or with KStars on a computer (ASIAir does not have a similar option to run on a computer). There is a wide range of equipment which can be persuaded to run with Stellarmate and you can set all of the parameters under the sun. I confess, I find that way too complicated for me at my stage.

Sorry, that has been a stream of consciousness but I hope it helps.

Regards,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

ApophisAstros

I use an Eagle unit https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/primaluce-lab-eagle-3-s-advanced-telescope-control-unit.html this controls everything and more. Capturing software is https://astrophotography.app/ with full plate solving (usually in under 3 seconds) , also controls guiding fully. I connect to the Eagle3 with my PC indoors using https://anydesk.com/en which drops occasionaly but the Eagle3 continues imaging continously regardless. At the moment its a joy to see it working seemlessly.
The afore mentioned in its full glory , the Eagle3 controller is under the middle scope.Also i have since tidied the cables.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Quote(its your old one Carole, still as fast as anything, especially as i have removed  EVERYTHING that is NEVER EVER needed..)

Crikey, I had forgotten that laptop, but |I remember loving XP.

Carole

RobertM

Personally, and with the proviso that you use ZWO cameras/supported DSLRs and accessories, I think it's an excellent product.  I would get the AIR Plus which already has an external WiFi aerial (can adapt the pro) and faster MMc card.  Being able to set any of the 12v outputs to dew controller mode was something I only found out recently.  Certainly there isn't much else out there to compete especially at the price !  One thing is that it won't work with a pc - you have to use an Apple/Android tablet (as far as I'm aware).

Robert

JohnH

Correction: I said that there are four 5v outlets, they are 12v and if designated for dew control it is possible to vary the output.

The Pro (ie without the WiFi aerial of the plus) weighs just under 250g. I have mine on a clamp which if fix to a dovetail on top of my scope. This can be moved back and forth to refine scope balance as an added bonus.

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Mac

Cheers for all those replies,

Gives me something to get my teeth in to.
I quite like the raspberry pi idea, had forgotten about that beast, especially as I have so many of them now......

That might get a first dibs look at.

John, that rant was excellent, answered absolutely everything, its a pity they cant put something like that on their own site.

Anyway, food for thought, it gives me something to crunch on, whilst i pass the time over here

Cheers

Mac.

ApophisAstros

At the end of the day you only get what you pay for.
Rog..
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

garrick

Hi,

I have been using the ASI Air since I started and have no issues with it. One of the main advantages is how quickly you can go from setting everything up to actual image capture. Its takes me about 10-15 minutes to set up and begin image capture, that includes polar alignment. I use the pole master to do the polar alignment. Although the AIR has built in polar alignment routine, I found it a pain. I'm lazy. :)

ZWO are continually improving the software in the AIR, for example you can now copy and paste CSV data from Telescopius if you want to frame accurately or create mosaics.

I've tried putting a mini PC on my set and ran Sequence Generator Pro, but to be honest it took so long to set up and Windows is not that user friendly. I am now just using the AIR for all the image capture.

Hope this helps,

Clear Skies,

G

The Thing

HI Mac,
A bit late to the thread but...

I have a Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB memory running Raspian Buster 128GB SD and a USB3 SSD. I installed the necessary from scratch and can use any camera. USB SSD is much faster and I boot from that.

I use Cartes de Ciel for navigation, CCDCiel for capturing (excellent, can almost automate the entire observatory), ASTAP for plate solving (lightning fast), the official PHD2  , EQMOD INDI (this is an interface not a driver) for SkyWatcher control (doesn't support custom ratios if you've modded). Does it all, there is an INDI driver for most kit. Powered by a 20000mAh USB power brick and I use NoMachine for remote access so I can use a tablet and bluetooth keyboard to operate everything as needed (or any other device). Runs two nights before a recharge is needed. I run my ASI294, Altair GPCAM2 for guiding, NEQ5. Or my 1100d.  Or my StarAdventurer (guided).

BTW KSTARS/EKOS etc as used by other PI based solutions just doesn't work right in my book. Its a weird interface and I had loads of trouble with it. They also use a mullahed version of PHD2 not the official one.

HTH

Duncan

Mac

Cheers Duncan.

I'll probably have a look at the Pi first.
The downside of that is i can only try it when im in Spain.
Although i can set it all up and program it in the UK.

Had a big issue though, the cover had ripped on the scope during the last storm over here,
and the mounts been getting cleaned by the rain ever since........ :o

Hopefully theres no water damage, but i'll have to wait and see.
Haven't had any time to get it set up and tested.

The to do job list was a bit long on this visit, especially as it was halloween, or as they call is over here.

Día de los Muertos.

Clear skies to everyone.

Mac.

The Thing

If you need any pointers with the RPi just PM me.

Mac

QuoteIf you need any pointers with the RPi just PM me.