• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Iris Nebula NGC7023 and Gyulbudaghian's Nebula LBN468

Started by Carole, Sep 14, 2021, 16:54:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Co-incidentally Mark has just done the same image (only his is much better).

I went to a small star party in the Cotswolds last week Bortle 4 and the skies were clear for the first 2 nights.  This is the first of 2 images I managed to get.

Because i don't do much in the way of LRGB imaging I found this particularly difficult to process, but Peter Shah was at the Star party and gave me a few tips.  It didn't help that I stupidly forgot to put the cooling on (Gun to head).  Also 2 sides of a Median to process just to add to all the problems.

Like Mark i have been wanting to get these two targets for some time, but unless I did a Mosaic and with my LRGB opportunities this would be somewhat problematic, so I decided to use my Samyang lens.

Atik460EX and Samyang135mm lens @ F2.8
Lum 23 x 600 (3hours 50mins)
RGB 14 x 150secs binned each filter (35m each) total 1 hour 45 mins
Total imaging time 5 hours 35mins

Roberto

MarkS

That's come out really well Carole!

You have a larger field of view than my image.  Which camera and lens was it and what f-ratio did you use on the lens?

Mark

Carole

Thanks Roberto and Mark. 

QuoteYou have a larger field of view than my image.  Which camera and lens was it and what f-ratio did you use on the lens?
Really Sorry, I forgot to put that.  It was my Atik460EX and Samyang135mm lens @ F2.8
Will now amend the first post. 

I had an even bigger FOV but due to changing my equipment around, I messed up the orientation of the mounting of the Samyang set up and had a rather large amount of rotation each side of the meridian, so this is cropped to get rid of the overlaps. 

Carole

garrick

Great image! he dust clouds look amazing.

Clear Skies

G

Carole

Carole

Dead chuffed to receive the following message from Astrobin:

"Congratulations! Your image was nominated to be a Top Pick: Iris Nebula NGC7023 and Gyulbudaghian's Nebula LBN468"

garrick

Congrats. That's a brilliant result.

Best wishes

GW

Carole

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Carole on Sep 16, 2021, 19:06:32
Dead chuffed to receive the following message from Astrobin:

"Congratulations! Your image was nominated to be a Top Pick: Iris Nebula NGC7023 and Gyulbudaghian's Nebula LBN468"
Great image and FOV and well deserved the nomination
Rog..
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roberto

Carole

The Thing

That's really rather good Carole. Maybe you shouldn't bother cooling that camera!

Carole

Thanks Duncan, lol, yes I thought it would have been much more noisy.  But I won't take that advice ha ha.

I must say i have been quite chuffed with how it turned out in the end, but it was a challenge processing it.  especially 2 sides of Meridian for all channels and I don't get much practice with LRGB. 

Carole

AndrewRamsay

Very impressive.  No wonder you got a "top pick".