• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dedicated astro camera + Sony e-mount lens

Started by RichardL, Jun 24, 2021, 23:05:37

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardL

Hi All,

Hope you've all been getting out seeing the NLCs - there's been some great displays!

Whilst I've seen quite a few threads on various forums on combining dedicated astro cameras with the Samyang 135mm lens, I was wondering how difficult it would be to combine a dedicated astro camera, perhaps the ZWO ASI224 MC (colour) with the Sony f/1.8 20mm lens. Or, something a bit more versatile, where I could swap out the 20mm for the Sony f/1.8 55mm...

Has anyone performed this conversion, or would willing to provide some insight on how it may be accomplished?

Many thanks
Richard

Carole

Not completely sure what you are asking Richard.  So you are not planning on using the Samyang 135mm lens but want to use either a Sony f/1.8 20mm len or a  20mm for the Sony f with a dedicated Astro camera is that right?

To be honest i can't advise on the two Sony lenses as I have no knowledge of them, but I do use the Samyang 135mm lens with a dedicated CCD camera.  Getting the right back spacing on this and focus was somewhat difficult, and one of the imagers on SGL designed an adapter which could be fitted to the lens instead of the camera bayonet which apparently works well with I think it is the ZWO cameras and First light Optics have put this into manufacture and is for sale in their shop.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-samyang-lens-to-m48-adapter.html

I am not sure if this is of any use to you.

What I use is an adapter from Modern Astronomy.  and I think he does a number of different adapters.
This is the one that I use:
https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/adapters/qhy-m54-canon-lens-adapter-020071/

However I am right on the furthest point of focus with my camera and this adapter.

I am not sure if any of this information is of any help to you, but perhaps it might be.

Carole

RichardL

Hi Carole,

Thanks for the detailed reply, its much appreciated!

I was keen to explore using either of the two Sony lenses I mentioned rather than the Samyang 135mm primarily as I already own these. And did in fact contact Modern Astronomy after you mentioned them in an earlier discussion we had when speaking of your Samyang 135mm set-up.

Sadly, they have no such adapter, so I may look into the 135mm set-up.

In either case, I'm keen to make it portable so will need to research how to power the dedicated CCD camera, and set exposures etc. without attaching a laptop. As I've absolutely no idea - having never used a dedicated CCD camera before!

Many thanks,
Richard

RichardL

Hi All,

It seems its not possible to use an e-mount lens with a dedicated astro CCD due to spacing issues, however from what I can ascertain adapters for Canon fit lenses are available so it does give the option of a variety of focal lengths. If going for a ZWO ASI 224 MC (Colour), I'd also be looking to get the ZWO Asiair Pro Wifi camera controller, however I'm keen to keep it all really portable. With this in mind could anyone advise on really portable, small, low weight power banks - that would be able to power said set-up for at least 2 hours (+ dew heater)?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Carole

I am not sure you can use a CCD or a CMOS camera without using a laptop.  They don't have a memory card and need to download the data.

Maybe you might need to consider using a mini laptop, I took such a set up to Spain. 

What are you mounting it on? 

Carole 

RobertM

Richard,

Look out for a e-mount to 1.25" eyepiece adaptor such as this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4628446 . You might be able to get an e-mount to m42 male thread then get a female m42 to 1.25" eyepiece adaptor.  You will then need to get the focus roughly right by moving the camera to the right position before final focus with lens focus ring.

For the portable rig you will need to work out the power draw in watts (or convert from current: Watts = 12 x Current) for everything.  If it is, for example current is 2A x 12v = 24 watts and you want to power it for 3 hours, then you will need at least a 72 watt/hr battery pack.  It's worth being aware that a nominal 12v may not be what you would expect i.e. 13.8v - some equipment has trouble working at anything less than 11v so be a bit wary and read the spec. sheets.

HTH Robert