• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another dust cloud - LDN673 (and 683) in Aquila

Started by Roberto, Jun 15, 2021, 13:24:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

Made the most of the spell of clear weather (after darkness) and completed this one yesterday morning. 

It's LDN 673 in Aquila, which is often imaged.  It's amazing how much contrast can be captured in just 8 hours on this subject - during summer twilight. 

Details here:  https://www.astrobin.com/frdxs0/E

I can see the top of a tree or perhaps the god Shiva in a dancing position?

Wide field:

Narrow field with L from large refractor:

Roberto

Carole

Great result Roberto, Still can't believe you can get what you do from Petts Wood.

Carole

Roberto

Carole

Thank you.  I was surprised myself that the image was not noisier given it was never truly dark whilst I took it.  For both this and LDN807 in Vulpecula, it helps that the object is to the south east horizon, away from the London LP dome to the north west of my garden.  They were also taken starting after midnight and until end of nautical darkness at 2:30-3AM.  I assume there are in general fewer lights on at that time!  Transparency was also very good over the last week - helping reduce overall noise and increase SNR.
But I think more importantly, these objects allow colour and contrast to be pushed fully as they are so rich in stars and the features are dark clouds which lend easily to increasing contrast.
For a proper, deep and expertly processed shot of LDN673, see this one:  http://distant-lights.at/ldn673-2020_07_25.htm
This guy has quite a few targets in his interactive constellations you will love!

Roberto

Hugh

Really stunning Roberto ~ another good one!

As you say the star fields are so rich ~ that is what often catches my breath in many of the pictures which are posted ~ look at all those stars ~ and the second pic really pulls them out.

Thanks

Hugh

PS: Definitely a 'Shiva' there!

ApophisAstros

Absolutely wonderful "what i call" ghost zones in space, good job,
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roberto

Thank you Hugh and Roger!

Glad you liked the dancing Shiva - hope it doesn't bring destruction to our observing and imaging chances later in the year!