• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Im Back, Sort of, ish, hmmmm, Bugger.

Started by Mac, Jul 06, 2021, 10:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

So as most of you may or may not know, I moved to Spain 2 years ago, For 18 Months All of the House was in storage, here in the UK and then in Spain,
Back in December 2020 we finally completed on the purchase of our house in Spain after MANY frustrating problems with the house sale over here.

Due to restrictions placed on me by my work because of covid, I am not able to do my normal travel arrangements, So i had to block travel, which has left a bit of a sour note, but thats being sorted........

This return I finally managed to get the scope set up, its on the roof and i pretty much have a 360 view of the sky, there are a few bits and bobs, but pretty much unobstructed.

So after setting up the scope and trying to remember how to align Polaris ( I changed the way they said to do it to an easier way),

i managed to get the scope up and running, only to be SERIOUSLY frustrated that i still had the standard EQ mount power problems, with the lead constantly falling out or loosing power and then resetting.

So like any good astronomer I hacked the board and soldered a couple of decent connectors, which should elevate the issue of power drop outs.

And like any good astronomer after setting everything up for the first time.

I was clouded out................ :cheesy:

So fingers crossed tonight will be a little clearer and I can do some DSLR imaging.

Haven't got the laptop set up yet so its just down to the camera.

One of my favorites M16 is pretty well placed down here, it only just rose back in Nyewood.

So heres to clear skies and happy imaging (again)

Designed by Mr Heath Robinson.

Didnt want to remove the old power plug in case i take it out.

Looking W - N - E - S

Roberto

Fantastic location and glad you have your problems sorted! Looking forward to the southern jewels you can capture from down there.

Roberto

Carole

Hmmm, the title of this thread, was somewhat ambiguous, especially when you talked about having property packed up both in Spain and Uk and your travel/work problems with Covid.  I couldn't work out whether you were Back (in the Uk), or were Back (doing imaging). 

So having sorted that out.   Great views and skies from where you are and having a roof top vista.

So having got your Mount power sorted, we will look forward to some exciting images from you, especially with your lower horizon.

Carole

Rick

The blue skies in the panoramic view look promising. Clear skies!

The Thing

Looks great Mac. M16 must be way up out of the murk. Nice. It'll be interesting to see how still you have to be on that roof though, you might need some sort of anti-vibration pads. How are the street lights around you?

Mac

M16 is pretty high up, compared to the uk.
My latitude is 38 Deg  :cheesy:

The roof is pretty solid, was playing around with M13 last night just need to process it.
Need to set up some sort of waterproof box for all of the electrics before i try and set up the computer for imaging using my ccd ect.

One note, i sorted out the guiding problems, I reversed the RA and Dec Motors  :oops: when i modded the board, it took a while to sus that the scope was pointing in the wrong directions.

Street lights are no too bad, there are a few houses around with search lights, but they tend to turn them off after 11pm.

Mac.

Roberto

Sounds great Mac and the seeing down in Spain should be a lot better than here on a regular basis.  I've always admired the pictures taken by Sara Wager - who also images from a rooftop in Spain:  https://www.swagastro.com/

Roberto