• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dark clouds in Vulpecula - LDN galore

Started by Roberto, Jun 10, 2021, 15:57:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

After the disappointment of a totally overcast sky this morning for the partially solar eclipse, I decided to process the below before grief overtook me!

Taken earlier in the week during the very good spell of seeing and clear skies we had. 

It's amazing how much contrast there is in these regions of the sky!

LDN galore in Vulpecula - Dark Claw - LDN 807 (796 to 808) - LRGB

For details see here:  https://www.astrobin.com/2n8cc8/E/?nc=user

LRGB close up at higher resolution:

LRGB wide field:

LRGB annotated:

Roberto

Carole

Pretty spectacular in close Roberto.  Not seen this one before.

Carole

Roberto

Thank you Carole! This one is rarely imaged. LDN673 further south gets much more attention. I'm working on that one now.
I've found that I can shoot these starry fields using short exposures in the summer twilight and since there's a lot of SNR in the fields, they are not too noisy. These are wide field targets. Over 1 degree a side.
Maybe give them a try with your setup?
Roberto

Carole

I find I still can't do broadband properly.  Even with the Hutech Idas filter you recommended it's just as bad.  I can seem to managed RGB though strangely enough, so I have done a fair few in HaRGB.  Such a shame as being stuck at home so many targets I would love to do I just have to let pass by. 

Went to Cairds last month hoping to do some LRGB and it was cloudy the whole time!!!!

Even doing RGB at the moment I can't do more than 250 secs without it blowing out the sensor.  Or in my case I generally bin the colour so I am doing 125sec binned.  Often I just use the RGB for star colour. 

I managed last year to get some LRGB done in Swanley which is Bortle 6.  I believe you are Bortle 7, but I can never do it from here, it is just an all over swirl of gradients. 

Carole