• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Whirlpool and some extended dust

Started by Roberto, May 17, 2021, 14:11:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

Hello All

Taken over several weeks in April and May.  M51 was the fill-in object whilst a number of LBN objects in Draco rose sufficiently.  These two will likely be my last two LRGB images until late summer and longer nights.

M51 in Canes Venatici:  https://www.astrobin.com/stjhsf/D/?nc=user

LBN 460, 413 and 415 in Draco - this is a 2x2 mosaic:  https://www.astrobin.com/jiihhq/D/?nc=user

And let's throw in a sun disc with some prominences taken on 11 May:

Roberto

julian

As always your images are outstanding.

Carole

All are great Roberto.  I am particularly impressed with the Sun and the prominences especially the very faint ones. 

Carole 

Roberto

Thank you Carole and Julian!

Carole, yes, the sun is always good to process as it has such dynamic range and high signal.  I have to say that the view at the eyepiece was much better than my image though!

Roberto

JohnH

Lovely images, M51 is my favourite.

Also, nice to see that the sun still actually exists this month!

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Roberto

RobertM

Hi Roberto,

Those are really excellent images especially considering there haven't really been that many good opportunities.  I can see that capturing the dust in Draco was quite some effort, some 38.5 hours of imaging time - that's way way more than I've ever done ! I hope it was satisfying to process ?

Robert

Roberto

Thank you Robert!  To be honest, the Draco mosaic was a nightmare to process!  More of a masochistic exercise from London...beautiful region but really too faint to pull enough detail from it.   It needed twice the imaging time - or a scope in Arizona!

Roberto