• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing evening ... again.

Started by doug, Apr 01, 2021, 15:51:27

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

Hi all. Just to let you know, there will be an Observing Evening at the OVMH on the 20th May 2021; the first for a good while, so come along and do some observing if the weather is kind to us, and a catch up chat. I don`t know about refreshments at the moment, so suggest you bring your own this time until future arrangements are settled.

See you all there, Doug.  :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...

doug

As we are limited to thirty people attending the Observing Evening on the 20th May 2021, because of Covid regulations, may I request that all members who will come to the meeting, let us have your contact details written on a slip of paper, so Rose can fill in the Observing register to comply with the regulations concerning meetings. As you know, members always fill in the register when we are in the hall, so this is just to allow Rose to keep track of the register numbers.

Thanks in advance, Doug. And Rose.

ApophisAstros

Do we have to let you know before hand to prevent more than 30 people turning up?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roberto

Exactly.  When do we have to let you know Doug?   I now, I'm in.

Roberto

doug

Bring your details on a slip of paper, hand it to Rose and then she can enter it onto the Observing evening register, which we keep. Look forward to seeing you all .... don`t forget that there can only be thirty people at the Observing evening.

Cheers, Doug.

doug

Just a quick update/reminder ..... as the Hall will NOT be open, suggest you bring along your own refreshments for the evening. As well as your telescopes, binos, and masks. Don`t forget, this is limited to thirty persons only as per the Govt guidelines.

See you there, Doug.

ApophisAstros

It will be great to see friends in the flesh again  :D :D :D
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

doug

Another reminder that the Observing evening on the 20th May will be held in the playing field behind the Otford Village Memorial Hall starting at about 20.00 hrs. The hall will NOT be opened, so bring any refreshments you may require with you, plus any optical equipment you have  :D. Please don`t forget your details for yourself so that they can be copied into the register for `elf n safety regulations. If the weather is inclement ... very wet, then we will have to cancel the evenings entertainment and do it all another time. Please keep an eye on the Forum for any further information.

Let us hope the weather is dry and we have an excellent evening. Cheers, Doug.

AndrewRamsay

To all members hoping to attend on 20 May -

This is an official Observing Meeting of the OAS

Please note the guidelines for the evening agreed by the Orpington Astronomical Society Committee:

- As Covid 19 restrictions apply, you are asked to go home immediately if you feel unwell, or to stay at home if you are required to self-isolate under the Covid 19 regulations.
- If you have a mobile phone with the NHS Covid 19 app installed, please scan the QR Code held by Rose – this helps to ease tracking if any attendee is subsequently tested positive.
- Please ensure that you do not share or touch equipment other than your own this evening.   Wipes and hand sanitiser are available if you inadvertently break this requirement.
- As we are meeting outside, we can be reasonably sure that ventilation is high (!).  However, it may be wise to continue to avoid contact or close working with other members.
- Please do not invite anyone who is not a member to join the Observing Evening before or during the event.

Thank you for observing these guidelines.

- Andrew Ramsay
Acting Chair : Orpington Astronomical Society

Roberto

Thursday looks like a complete washout unfortunately.  Wednesday does not look bad at all on the other hand.  Any chance we would be allowed in a day before?

Roberto

AndrewRamsay

A bit late to rearrange, unfortunately.  In any case we can't use the Hall yet.

Rick

Forecasts seem to change by the hour at the moment, so maybe you'll get lucky on Thursday.

doug

We will give it a try on Thursday, and hope that we can "get in" between the showers. Keep all your bits crossed.

Cheers Doug. (with suitable prayers to the weather gods)

Carole

I sent you an E Mail Doug, to say not sure if I and Roger will be able to make it after all.  Didn't want to stop any-one else going if there is a "waiting list".

Carole

doug

Regretfully I have to say that the Observing evening is cancelled due to very inclement weather forecasts. It would not be nice to have soggy feet, clothes and telescopes, so that I will, very hopefully, try again on June 17th. Don`t forget the eclipse viewing on the 10th June between 10.00 and 12.00 hrs ... IF the weather allows us to look.

I hate to cancel this, but it seems I have little option, as the Hall would not have been available for the May observing. Let`s look forward to the eclipse and the June Observing,

Cheers, Doug.