• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC891

Started by Roy, Mar 04, 2021, 22:03:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

NGC891 with part of the Abell 347 Galaxy Cluster (top right hand corner): this is the second complete image that I have produced using PixInsight, in other words I'm a complete beginner with it. The image is limited by the fact that NGC891 is a relatively small object and the focal length of the telescope was only 816 mm.

Roy

Carole

That's come out very well Roy nice round stars to all four corners.

As you say it is small for your focal length.

The only thing I think it could benefit from is some increase in saturation of the galaxy colour, and also have a go at Mark's script in Pixinsight - Arcsinh to enhance the star colour.

Well done.

Carole

Roy

Hi Carole,

Doh! I had a list of things to do to the image and one of them was to adjust the colour saturation of the stars, but I completely forgot to do it, so thank you for spotting that. As I said I'm still very much a beginner when it come to PixInsight.

Roy

Carole

Can't help with Pixinsight, but I know Mark wrote a script for star colour which has been incorporated into Pixinsight I believe it is called Arcsinh.

Carole

NoelC

Very nice Roy.
Well done.
Particularly difficult at the minute to hunt galaxies!

Noel
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

The Thing

You got some lovely detail in the dust lane Roy, well done!

The Arcsinh process should enable you to get a colourful stretch without too much bother. Also look at downloading the EZProcessing scripts from Darkarchon (the main N.I.N.A. author). They make life much easier in PI.

JohnH

You have that galaxy beautifully sharp!

I am floundering around with Pixinsight, I am doing things a bit randomly at the moment and so you have my admiration.

Well done,

John
Sir Isaac Newton should have said, "If I have seen further than others it is by inventing my own telescope".

Roberto

Very nice Roy!  Expertly framed!

Ask Mark for a PixInsight tutorial session please  ;)

Roberto

RobertM

Lovely image Roy, it's great to see you out imaging.  The scale is a little small but it just means you can see more of the surrounds.

Any image capture details ?

Robert

MarkS

Well done Roy - that's a great example of a galaxy!

Mark