• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC405 (Flaming Star), IC410 (Tadpoles), IC417, NGC1907

Started by The Thing, Feb 09, 2021, 16:58:38

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Captured using Voyager with Viking - first session where Voyager controlled the roof opening and closing! An event indeed. It even closed the roof before the rain arrived. I had checked the forecast carefully and worked out a suitable session length! A cloud sensor is being constructed for next time :)

Next time I'll also sort the framing out so more of the Flaming Star (top) can be seen and M38 is in view. This is 180x60s Gain 120(unity) Offset 4 Temp -5C.

Image date, time and location:   2021-02-06 21:330-02:45, Manche, France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Sharpstar 61EDPH with flattener fl275mm f4.5 on NEQ6
Camera and filters used:   ZWO ASI294MC Pro, Optolong L-Enhance dual band filter
Processing applied:   PI (ABE, PCC, EzProcessing Suite, HT, CT), Irfanview

Click for full size, uncropped, unbinned.

MarkS

Glad to hear it was a success for the automated observatory!

The image has also come out well!  A very packed field of view.

Mark

NoelC

A lot of the nebula (pesumably courtesy of your dual band filter).  Interestingly the colouring is different to a lot of other presentations of this area. Well done.
Pleasing that you got everything automated.  My shed has been stuck in position due to the snow filling the rails and freezing - not that there have been any opportunities to open it recently.
Swapped telescopes for armchair.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Ta guys. The colouring should get better as I have set up the filter bands in PixInsight Photometric Colour Calibration as if it were separate narrowband filters. Process M42 using this at the moment and it looks promising.

RobertM

Great start with Voyager Duncan .

PS. I thought you were a NINA man ?

Robert

The Thing

The aim is to have everything automated รก la Roberto to make use of every rare clear hour of night. Next step - IR sensor arrived today so I can make a cloud detector. Only Voyager has the smarts to run it all. It shut everything down when the guiding failed 3 times the other night, great as ithen snowed.

Roberto

Great result Duncan!  There's plenty of Ha nebulosity in it; superb.  Voyager certainly works very well.  Nothing can be fully automated though; otherwise where's the fun in all this?! 
I am still gathering data on this target as the first of three a night (IC443 and NGC4725 are next during the night) but weather is not helping.  Last time I imaged IC410 was in 2015.

Roberto