• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dust in Taurus - LBN 819 region including NGC1555 and Sh2-239 - Mosaic

Started by Roberto, Jan 12, 2021, 11:46:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberto

With never ending clouds it took me over two months to finish this one.  2x2 mosaic taken with the tandem setup:  smaller refractor taking OSC data and larger one L only.

This is a beautiful region, rich in dusty clouds just above the Hyades.  To the right of the image is NGC1555, Hind's variable nebula.

Details here:  https://www.astrobin.com/rvw679/D/?nc=user

Roberto

MarkS

That's a great result but it looks a bit dark on my screen.

I've tried to image the Hyades on a couple of occasions but there has always been a thin layer of cloud leading to that "headlamps in the fog" look.

Mark

Roberto

Mark

Thank you.  I may have clipped the background a little trying to increase contrast; I'll check what can be done.
Yes, I had quite a few frames dropped because of the fog-like effect you mention!

Roberto

Carole

I can hardly see any detail at all as posted as it is dark, but on importing it into photoshop and stretching I can see a lot more nice detail.

Carole

Roberto

Carole

Thanks for the feedback.  Strange that it is so dark for both you and Mark.  I have changed nothing in my screen settings before processing this one.
I did dial back the background clipping a bit and created a new version here - below.  Maybe that one is better?

Roberto

Carole

RobertM

Lovely image Roberto !

I know what the others are saying about it being dark but space is dark and dust is slightly less dark.  It's hard to get the brightness and keep the subtlety but I like the way it's presented here.

Robert

Roberto

Thank you Robert! It's a tough target from Petts Wood and the weather hasn't helped!
Take care

Roberto