• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Saturn Jupiter Conjunction 20-Dec-2020

Started by MarkS, Dec 21, 2020, 01:14:06

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Saturn and Jupiter early evening on Sunday 20-Dec-2020.

Single exposure using Nikon Z6 on Celestron C11 with 0.8x flattener. 1/8sec at ISO 100 in electronic shutter mode to prevent vibration. The moons Callisto and Ganymede are widely spaced on the left of Jupiter; Io and Europa are on its right.

Saturn will continue to "slide to the right" giving a closest approach on 21 Dec 2020 but it will be cloudy.

Mark

MarkH

Very  nice  image  Mark,  I managed  to view the  conjunction with  my  scope but  my attempts to photograph it  failed  miserably.  I did  have a look at the pleiades the moon and  Mars.

Roberto

Great outcome Mark.  8) I observed it only as I didn't want to risk the small weather window trying to take a picture.  I am glad others did and can share them with us.

Roberto

MarkS

I took numerous exposures.  When I get a chance, I hope to stack them and see if I can bring out more detail.  But it was windy, there was atmospheric dispersion and the seeing was pretty dire - the image of Saturn and Jupiter was "boiling", so I don't hold out a lot of hope :(

Mark

Carole

The Thing

Very good Mark, I've only had cloud here. I'm hoping to have a window of opportunity on Thursday.

Rick

Whitters

Fay

well done Mark, great you have more to stack.....
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!